The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

What's the rule???

I overheard two of my colleagues at lunch talking about basketball. I'm not sure if either of them know that I officiate. They were talking about a player diving on a loose ball. Their question was this: once possession is established by this player on the floor, may he/she begin a dribble and get up? Does anyone have the rules reference for this??
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I seem to have misplaced my rulebook. Thanks
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes it is legal. The only rule reference I can give you is to show me where it says you can travel during a legal dribble? You will not find one because if you are dribbling you cannot travel.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Yes it is legal. The only rule reference I can give you is to show me where it says you can travel during a legal dribble? You will not find one because if you are dribbling you cannot travel.

Peace
I thought there was something in the case book. My bad.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

The case book says that you can't gain possession while on the floor, place the ball on the floor, get up and then regain possession.

It's perfectly legal to begin a dribble, just as long as you don't lift your pivot knee before releasing the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The case book says that you can't gain possession while on the floor, place the ball on the floor, get up and then regain possession.

It's perfectly legal to begin a dribble, just as long as you don't lift your pivot knee before releasing the ball.

That's what I thought. I knew there was something in there about gaining possession while on the floor and then beginning a dribble. Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

See Case PLay 4.43.5 Sitch B

A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating?
Ruling: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. Is is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball.

Z
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Nate,

You're probably going to go Tarrentino on me for this, but I just can't not say this. For someone such as yourself to write so confidently about how officials at some of the highest levels should be doing their job, and then to get into flame wars with veterans who differ with you, this is a really, really elementary case.