The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional Foul in act of shooting & the try is successful…

An intentional foul committed in the act of shooting and with a successful basket by A1, does not clearly state within the NFHS Rule Book that the shooter shall receive 1 or 2 shots.

It only gives a clear example in the Case book, page 25, 4.19.3 Situation A.

How many shots should be attempted by the shooter if intentionally fouled in the act of shooting and the basket is successful?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Penalty for an Intentional Foul is 2 shots whether the shot goes in or not...
the only exception is a missed 3 pointer will result in 3 shots...and they get the ball back at the spot nearest the foul.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

2 shots on a 2-point try, regardless if it goes in...
3 shots on a 3-point try if missed...if made, 2...
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1784
An intentional foul committed in the act of shooting and with a successful basket by A1, does not clearly state within the NFHS Rule Book that the shooter shall receive 1 or 2 shots.

It only gives a clear example in the Case book, page 25, 4.19.3 Situation A.
Say what?

See NFHS rule 10-6PENALTIES- #4, 5 & 6. They cover all intentional fouls and all situations. #4covers your particular question.

It's at the bottom of p.66 and top of p.67of the rule book.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 06:30pm.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Say what?

See NFHS rule 10-6PENALTIES- #4, 5 & 6. They cover all intentional fouls and all situations. #4covers your particular question.

It's at the bottom of p.66 and top of p.67of the rule book.
Say this ...

Rule 10 Summary #4. Two free throws if intentional or flagrant, plus ball for throw-in.

This sentence does not define whether it applies to a try that is successful or unsuccessful.

It is defined in the Case Book Study but we all interpret #4 to mean during the act of shooting and a try or tap is successful or not, then award 2 free throws and ball for a throw-in.

For Rule 10 Summary #5, it defines an intentional foul in act of shooting and a try is unsuccessful shall give the shooter two free throws on a 2 point try.

Rule 10 Summary #2. One Free throw if fouled in the act of shooting and two- or three-point try or tap is successful.... applies to which technical or is it referring to all techs?

I feel there is an error in the Rule Book publication.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Rule 10 Summary #2. One Free throw if fouled in the act of shooting and two- or three-point try or tap is successful.... applies to which technical or is it referring to all techs?
Rule 10 Summary 2 follows the section on Contact, so technical fouls are not being discussed. An intentional foul is 2 shots and the ball.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Rule 10 Summary 2 follows the section on Contact, so technical fouls are not being discussed. An intentional foul is 2 shots and the ball.
Huh?

Technical fouls are being discussed there and we all know an intentional foul on A1 will give the player two free throws plus the ball on a throw-in.

What you are reading after Rule 10-6 Contact on page 66 is separate information called, PENALTIES Rule 10 Summary and has nothing to do with following in conjunction with Rule 10-6.

Rule 10 Summary does discuss all technical penalties and refers to all of them in summary format.

All of us agree to issue 2 shots on a try that is successful, yet I feel the Rule Book does not fully clarify as to whether you are given 1 or 2 shots for a successful try or tap while being fouled intentionally.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What you are reading after Rule 10-6 Contact on page 66 is separate information called, PENALTIES Rule 10 Summary and has nothing to do with following in conjunction with Rule 10-6.
Thanks - good to know my oversight.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I feel there is an error in the Rule Book publication.
There is no error. The book is clear.

Two free throws if intentional or flagrant, plus ball for throw-in.

It makes no difference whether there's a shot or not. That's why it's unnecessary to address whether the shot is good or not good.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
There is no error. The book is clear.

Two free throws if intentional or flagrant, plus ball for throw-in.

It makes no difference whether there's a shot or not. That's why it's unnecessary to address whether the shot is good or not good.
IMO, the above statement should be noted in the Rule Book.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Well, when you get on the NFHS Rule Committee, feel free to make the change.

Doesn't the Case Book clarify it for you? Tha'ts what the Case Book does. That's why it's there. It's a necessary supplement to the Rule Book?

Let me ask you this. A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. As he goes to the line, you wanr him to tuck his shirt tail in. He doesn't and takes his first FT. Now what do you do and where can I find it in the Rule Book?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

• I will join the committee and recommend another change to exclude old squirrels without a nut.

• The Case Book is used to illustrate in written form a better understanding of the Rule Book. It supplements a given rule.

• There is no defining clarification in the NFHS Rule Book for an intentional foul when a try is successful or unsuccessful as there is with the Case Book.

• For your situation, I would allow the shot to be taken and then have the shooter removed from the game.

Now what should you do when you are ready to administer the ball to A1 and he/she is not ready and is outside the semi-circle conversing with teammates or fans?

Have a nice day.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
How many shots should be attempted by the shooter if intentionally fouled in the act of shooting and the basket is successful?
You answered your own question in your original post in this thread.

See case book play 4.19.3SitA(a)-- "A1 is awarded two free throws...in all situations following the free throws, team A is awarded a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul".

See GENERAL INFORMATION in the FOREWARD of the case book. That says "the interpretations and rulings for all play situations have been approved by the rules committee and are official". If it's clearly stated in the case book, then it's an approved and official NFHS ruling. Are you trying to say that isn't true?

It doesn't matter if rule book language is a little fuzzy if there is a very explicit case book play giving a definitive ruling.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You answered your own question in your original post in this thread.

I may have, yet I was able to read a few comments from other officials.

See case book play 4.19.3SitA(a)-- "A1 is awarded two free throws...in all situations following the free throws, team A is awarded a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul".

I am aware of this situation... any others you want me to be aware of?

See GENERAL INFORMATION in the FOREWARD of the case book. That says "the interpretations and rulings for all play situations have been approved by the rules committee and are official". If it's clearly stated in the case book, then it's an approved and official NFHS ruling. Are you trying to say that isn't true?

Never wrote that it wasn’t true. The Rule Book should have a more clear definition when an intentional foul occurs. If you’re satisfied, good for you but for newbie’s and some vets, every bit of information surely would be beneficial.

It doesn't matter if rule book language is a little fuzzy if there is a very explicit case book play giving a definitive ruling.

To me, the rule book isn’t fuzzy in regards to an intentional foul summary. It is well stated in generalization but could communicate more meanings for a successful or unsuccessful try, e.g. PENALTIES: #6 Multiple Foul.
By the way, youre never too old or young to dish out your thoughts and replies. Now try this for your years behind your ears...

An old man announces his intention to marry a beautiful young woman but he is persuaded to have a medical exam first.

"Doc, everyone tells me I need a checkup to see if I'm sexually fit,"

"O.K," says the doctor, "Let me see your sex organs."

So the old guy sticks out his tongue and his middle finger.

Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

That's an old joke too.