The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
What surprises me is how high up the Center official was...barely in the TV screen. Although I guess the trail could've come in, but I'm guessing he was straightlined.

I give Coach Romar a lot of credit for not going ballistic.
The coach did go crazy! He was jumping all over the court. If they were confident of their no call, I think the coach and bench personnel's actions would have been deserving of a technical. But since they weren't sure if they missed the call they let it go.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostars
We had a fast brake and I was T or C (3 person crew - can't remember which). A1 lays the ball in then B1 reaches from under the net and punches the ball out so it almost hits the ceiling. Both the other official and I were caught by surprise and the L ended up having to call it. We all saw it and knew what the right call was it was just a matter blowing the whistle.
I had a similar play, although it was not a transition play. A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. A1 releases the ball and B2 blocks the ball while it's on the way down. I was Lead and called the initial foul. I stood there with my fist up, thinking "T's got the GT, right? Um, guess not. C will pick it up, I'm sure. Uh, no. Ok, then. . ." Tweet! I didn't like it, but had to get it.

After the game, the C and T both said what you said. They saw it, but got surprised and just didn't blow the whistle.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Not that the media knows what they are talking about, but I believe I heard SportsCenter give the officials credit for making the "correct" call.

It was certainly a tough call, live I thought it was correct. Slow it down, and it's certainly harder. But, got to give the benefit of the doubt to the official. He made the call and sold it and I'll buy into his call.

Great game!
Ah, the benefits of TiVo. It was goaltending.

BTW, both the center AND the trail called it -- one replay showed the play from the baseline and you can see the trail also immediately signaling the goaltending.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Ah, the benefits of TiVo. It was goaltending.

BTW, both the center AND the trail called it -- one replay showed the play from the baseline and you can see the trail also immediately signaling the goaltending.
I'm confused now. Are you guys talking about the NOT CALLED goaltending on Brandon Roy during the UCONN/Wash game or are you talking about the BC/Nova goaltending at the end of the game?
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
I'm confused now. Are you guys talking about the NOT CALLED goaltending on Brandon Roy during the UCONN/Wash game or are you talking about the BC/Nova goaltending at the end of the game?
Sorry. I saw both and mixed them up.

They were BOTH goaltending, one called, one not. I TiVoed both of them and the no call in UConn/U-Dub was clearly missed -- it was coming down when blocked. The announcers were right on top of it and for once they were right. Of course, that is one call most easily made from a chair on the sidelines.

The BC/Nova GT was a good call, nailed by both the T and the C.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:03am
Esteemed Participant

I thought it was GT, but I'm at home sitting on my couch. Anyone besides me think this game was a perfect example of one coach getting into the officials heads early and getting benefit of the calls late because of it? I'm really undecided about that, but that game is the first one in a really long time where I felt the officials did not do a very good job, and I'm thinking Calhoun had a lot to do with that.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT TWO DIFFERENT PLAYS!!!!!!!!!

This thread is about the GT that was not called in the UConn-Washington game.

It is not about the GT call that was correctly made in the Nove-BC game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I thought it was obviously goaltending live. (Talking about UConn/Wash here.) On the first tivo replay, I wasn't so sure. On the second tivo reply, I thought it was just barely goaltending.

The camera angle, though, is a little funky. It's below the ball, and I think that distorts things.

Bottom line -- probably GT.

Tough game for that crew. Announcers made it worse. I can take them questioning calls, but when they say things about giving a T for "showing up the ref," I cringe.

On the BC play, clearly goaltending, and it looked pretty clear the goal would have scored but for the goaltending, which makes it a heady play by the BC player. Pick it out of the basket and pray they miss it.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
What surprises me is how high up the Center official was...barely in the TV screen. Although I guess the trail could've come in, but I'm guessing he was straightlined.

I give Coach Romar a lot of credit for not going ballistic.

Hey, Sean! How did your season go?
Pizanno,

He DID go ballistic. Play was so frantic that the officials or camera could not focus on him.

Mulk
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Sorry. I saw both and mixed them up.

They were BOTH goaltending, one called, one not. I TiVoed both of them and the no call in UConn/U-Dub was clearly missed -- it was coming down when blocked. The announcers were right on top of it and for once they were right. Of course, that is one call most easily made from a chair on the sidelines.

The BC/Nova GT was a good call, nailed by both the T and the C.
My fault. I was talking about the BC/Nova game.... it was real late whenever I read the thread... sorry everyone.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Even though it was very close to being GT in real time, I thought it was close enough that it was probably a good "no call". After seeing it replayed several times in slow motion I was convinced the shot was at the top of its arc and I did not see that it had started its downward tragectory. Afterwards, I thought it was a good play to let go...
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Just start a poll...
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

I started a new thread with a pole. You can read it here.