The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Although it's not likely...

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I think that you would only want to call this if he passes out of the lane. If he/she is advancing to the bucket, you should let them go until:

1. they pass
2. they shoot

Multiple moves and or pump fakes are still part of advancing to the bucket.
Ah, the voice of a veteran. Next time you're in NC, let's work a few games, Brian!
Sure. O-hi-o is an OK place to call ball, but man it is not Indiana.

Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
One yard - the distance A1 claims was between him and B1 when he got called for smacking B1 on the arm during a shot.
"But ref, I wasn't within a metre of him!"

Nah, doesn't work for me!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the FIBA rule:

Allowance must be made for a player who:

• Makes an attempt to leave the restricted area.
• Is in the restricted area when he or his team-mate is in the act of shooting and the ball is leaving or has just left the player's hand(s) on the shot for a field goal.
• Dribbles in to shoot for a field goal after having been in the restricted area for less than three (3) seconds.

I started refereeing with FIBA rules but when I started reffing college I needed to learn NCAA rules. The rule seems to read a bit differently, but my interpretation has never changed and I've never had any problems at the college level (with this call anyway , ha, ha!). I see it called around here all the time without arguments from anybody.

Must be a regional thing! Something for our zone to discuss before the season starts in November.

Sorry for the snap Tony . I'll recind my remark based on mick's comment.

Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

With all due respect, our FIBA brothers need to understand that 80% of the rules discussion on this site involves NFHS rules. NCAA rules are probably discussed about 15% of the time which leaves about 1 in 20 posts that involve, NBA, WNBA, FIBA, or other rules. You are more than welcome to discuss any rules but to lessen the confusion, you may want to consider mentioning that you're speaking in FIBA terms as there may be a different NF or NCAA interpretation of a very similiar rule.

Just MHO! Of course, Dan always says, "Tony, I don't read this board for your humble opinion!" I think he's implying that I have no humility!

Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

i know it's a very small number of folks that are doing it, but with this last comment i can't remain silent any longer.

PLEASE STOP WITH THE FIBA RIPPING. we all understand by now that you think basketball is an american only sport (or at least the only basketball that counts is played on american soil). i didn't pay my money to read -- at least once in almost every thread -- some comment about Feeble or foreign basketball being inferior.

Enough already, we get it.

Jake
Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 112448
i know it's a very small number of folks that are doing it, but with this last comment i can't remain silent any longer.

PLEASE STOP WITH THE FIBA RIPPING. we all understand by now that you think basketball is an american only sport (or at least the only basketball that counts is played on american soil). i didn't pay my money to read -- at least once in almost every thread -- some comment about Feeble or foreign basketball being inferior.

Jake
Jake - thank you. As one of the main targets of said ripping, I couldn't agree more.

Lets use this forum to educate ourselves. Surely American high school referees can learn something from FIBA refs, and I know I have learnt heaps from the experiences, and rule differences that I have read about.

So give it a rest, and concentrate on the similarities. I have no problem with pointing out the differences, but don't imply that your way is better than someone elses!

Phew....I'm done

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've re-read my previous post that you referred to and I don't see anything in it that demeans FIBA or anyone else. I simply pointed out that most of the discussion here involves NF or NCAA rules. SO, I simply suggested that if you bring a FIBA rule into a discussion, you may want to initially clarify that, especially when the rule is different than NF or NCAA.

BTW, sorry bub, but you didn't pay any money to post on this board and neither does anyone else. It's completely free. If you paid someone, you've been taken. If you guys are so thin-skinned that you can't take a little ribbing from someone on the other side of the world, how can you possibly ignore it on the court. Stop being so sensitive.

Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 11:04pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I used to get defensive

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

I've re-read my previous post that you referred to and I don't see anything in it that demeans FIBA or anyone else. I simply pointed out that most of the discussion here involves NF or NCAA rules. SO, I simply suggested that if you bring a FIBA rule into a discussion, you may want to initially clarify that, especially when the rule is different than NF or NCAA.

BTW, sorry bub, but you didn't pay any money to post on this board and neither does anyone else. It's completely free. If you paid someone, you've been taken. If you guys are so thin-skinned that you can't take a little ribbing from someone on the other side of the world, how can you possibly ignore it on the court. Stop being so sensitive.
When I knew I was wrong. But now I just say "Oh, Shucks", or something to that effect.
And so it could be with some FIBA Officials. They seem overly sensitive and defensive about their rules. Do any other rules have as many protagonists as FIBA? The officials on this forum rip on all dumb rules, no matter whose book in which they are written.
Instead of excessively defending this , why don't we just say "Oh, shucks" and live with what we have to live with?
mick

[Edited by mick on Jul 1st, 2001 at 10:26 AM]
Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Also BTW - is it true that FIBA stands for "Foreign Interference in Basketball American"? [/B][/QUOTE]

Bsktbllref(Tony i think) -- i was not referring to your post, i guess from the time i read Mark Padgett's post (with the above remark) until the time i submitted my reply a few other people had written in. sorry for the confusion on that count. i still stand by my remarks (Being an American referee with a completely open mind) and i second Oz Refs follow up comments.

making fun of dumb rules from any code is one thing. i have no problem with that on this forum. But statements like the one at the top of the post are DEMEANING and should not be written in this forum.

Jake
Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also BTW - is it true that FIBA stands for "Foreign Interference in Basketball American"?
Bsktbllref(Tony i think) -- i was not referring to your post, i guess from the time i read Mark Padgett's post (with the above remark) until the time i submitted my reply a few other people had written in. sorry for the confusion on that count. i still stand by my remarks (Being an American referee with a completely open mind) and i second Oz Refs follow up comments.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I gotcha. When you wrote last comment and mine was the last comment, I couldn't draw any other conclusion.

Tony