The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by Ignats75

(I also kicked out 4 fans--2 more than in my two previous years combined)
Just curious. What mechanics/methods/processes did you use to eject the fans.

I luckily have never had to resort to this extreme. I did however witness a JuCo official eject a fan once and in my very humble opinion I didn't think he handled the situation as well as he could have.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Ignats75

(I also kicked out 4 fans--2 more than in my two previous years combined)
Just curious. What mechanics/methods/processes did you use to eject the fans.

I luckily have never had to resort to this extreme. I did however witness a JuCo official eject a fan once and in my very humble opinion I didn't think he handled the situation as well as he could have.
If you must eject a fan quietly have security take care of it.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

The mechanic is a simple two step process:

1> Point to the Fan
2> Point to the door.

At a CYO 7th grade tournament, an obnoxious Dad was ejected and refused to leave. I told the scoreboard operator to put :30 on the clock and that if the father was still in the gym when the horn sounded, the game was over; and then I walked away.

When the horn sounded, I turned around and lo and behold, loudmouth was gone.

In Ohio, it seems that the fan behavior is getting worse. THere is actually a bill in the State Senate right now raising the level of crime for assaulting officials.

[Edited by Ignats75 on Feb 28th, 2006 at 05:00 PM]
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

55!

In my mind, at least.

In actuality,

2 rec. coaches

1 middle school assistant coach, and that one turned out to be a mistake on my part

0 in JV/Varsity.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

For high school varsity (approx. 32 games), I think I had about 9 (1 book, 4 kids, 4 coaches -- on the kids or coaches, that may be off by one). That's certainly a new high for me in one season ... and probably more than I called in my first seven seasons combined. In the last few years, I've been more willing to give them when earned.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
If you must eject a fan quietly have security take care of it.
Of the fan ejections I have seen, this is the best way I've seen to handle it. Know who your site supervisor/AD/principal/security guard is before the game. Then, if there's a problem fan, go talk to that site supervisor, and have them take care of the problem. I've seen too many instances where the official tries to take care of it themselves, and it makes things worse because of confrontations, other fans getting into it, etc. Let security handle it while you get on with the game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

My most memorable was a G JV. Player steals the ball from the opponent. Opponent then yells out, "You b**ch!!!"

It was like time stood still for 3 or 4 seconds.....

Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Out of the Box

I am on the Frosh/Jv circuit. So no Varsity t's. I got to the last 1/3 rd of my season and I had it with the coaches. It is like these people are wild, homeless, animals. I know it's lower level and the quality of everyone involved is not Varsity level but the coaches need to start acting like adults/role models.
I am more than willing to work with coaches but not these escapees from the local zoo. Out of the box, yelling at me. Automatic T. No cajoling them to behave properly, no screaming at me allowed, no threatening me with parking lot justice, no nothing.
Next to last game the assignor and the owner of the assigning company (125 schools) show up. Early 2 QTR ball goes OOB at end of bench. I am getting ready to administer throw-in and lo and behold there is a screaming lunatic in my face. He was about 10 feet out of the box. Tweet T. Partner thought I should have worked with the coach, you know offer something like sexual favors or whatever to get back in the box and act in accordance with the guidelines established for animals, I mean coaches. halftime the bosses came in and lo and behold they about wet themselves they were SO HAPPY that someone is enforcing the coaching box rules. Last 15 games 12 T's, 10 of them coaching box violations,2 for kids dropping F bombs.

I know some people think that the T's are a crutch but someone on here also pointed out it is just another foul. It Is not that hard to stay within the little white taped lines we put down. I regret not 1 of the coaching box T's.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

48 games, about 2/3 HS girls, most of them varsity.

1 assistant coach.
1 illegal substitution.

Not a bad year. Maybe coaches are getting more polite.

Nah, I don't think so either.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Who has the record for this year?
How many travels did you call?

How many personal fouls did you call?

Who cares?

I have no idea how many I called. I remember it during the game, then it's over.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

In H.S.: one to a player who came onto the court from the bench and started to chase a player who had a breakaway layup. (As an aside...no matter what the book says, it is very hard to "hold the whistle" and let the player make the layup before you blow the "T.")

In youth: one to an assistant coach and three to players (two for using a certain 4-letter word and one for being a jerk toward the officials.)
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

1 in JUCO on a coach. Mine was 1 of about 15 she got and I think she is still wondering how they finished 0 - 18

1 in D-3 on a coach. She actually thanked me afterward and then went off on her players while the other team shot the FT
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

3 for me in about 50 HS freshmen, JV and varsity games:

1 book - wrong number, easy call, no argument

1 player - really bad taunting, easy call, no argument

1 coach - spiked his water bottle after my partner's call on something, it broke open, wet the floor and my pants legs, easy call, no argument

I guess I learned that most t-fouls are easy, at least mine were. IMHO, intentional foul calls are more difficult, especially if we enforce the rule the way the rules committee wants us to enforce it, but that's another thread for another day.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Let's see. . . one player for slamming the floor with his hands in response to a call (first game of the season).

Two players for delay of game infractions.

One coach. He kept yelling at me that I HAD to call a foul. What could I do? I did!

So that's four. Plus I tossed two fans. One more than in the previous 12 years combined.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

1 in 32 V/JV games this year. That is about normal for me.

Ironically, the T was on a head coach who complained about a call that went his way! Way to use your head fella!

One more night this year. I go to the res. and that will be interesting.