The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I alsmost tossed the mother of a player in a rec game the other night. During a live ball,just after the start of the 1/2, she came out on the floor to tell her son to tighten his draw string. When I told her that she couldn't be out on the court her retort as she was leaving was, "You better back off!" Go figure!
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really know...I don't put a notch in my belt to remember them.

I do, however, have one that I wish I had not called and another that I passed on that I should have called. Those I remember...to not make the same mistakes again.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I do, however, have one that I wish I had not called and another that I passed on that I should have called. Those I remember...to not make the same mistakes again.
Exactly my point. I have no idea how many, or few, I've called this year. I can remember one on a coach if the topic comes up or I remember if I wish I had passed or done something differently. But remember the count? Nope.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 12:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

Exactly my point. I have no idea how many, or few, I've called this year. I can remember one on a coach if the topic comes up or I remember if I wish I had passed or done something differently. But remember the count? Nope.
If I had about a dozen, I wouldn't know. But I had 2, so I can remember. My T count still exceeded the number of 3-second violations I called
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
No records for me.

High School:
-Contact technical on player
What "contact" technical did you have? Was it during play? If so, wouldn't a flagrant or intentional personal be your call?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
No records for me.

High School:
-Contact technical on player
What "contact" technical did you have? Was it during play? If so, wouldn't a flagrant or intentional personal be your call?
A1 defensive rebound (big, strong 6' 6" kid), has a couple of defenders surrounding him attempting to get ball. A1 has the ball up high and elbows out. He's pivots with ball, but not swinging elbows. B1 whacks A1 on the arm, I blow whistle for foul. A1 pivots one more time and elbow connects with B1's head. I didn't feel contact was intentional nor flagrant, but it was severe enough to warrant a technical.

My supervisor/assignor was in attendance. He felt I handled the situation properly.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:06am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Who has the record for this year?
How many travels did you call?

How many personal fouls did you call?

Who cares?

I have no idea how many I called. I remember it during the game, then it's over.
Tony, I'm with you on this one. I guess that means we either call too many or we really don't care. It is probably the latter.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I'm in the "remember the ones I didn't call" camp. I think I had only 1 at the varsity level and I really don't remember how many I called at the lower level. I do know I had my first ever ejection of a player (2 T's, the second was pulling his shirt out on the floor in obvious frustration, not a word from the coach or crowd, everyone knew he had it coming). I also know that there was 1 coach that got away from getting one in a game. I kicked myself for not getting him all the way home that night, then I put it behind me and moved on. I'm working a JH weekend tournament this weekend so I'm pretty sure I'll get a couple in then. Daddy coaches that don't understand the game get under my skin in a hurry.

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Who has the record for this year?
How many travels did you call?

How many personal fouls did you call?

Who cares?

I have no idea how many I called. I remember it during the game, then it's over.
Tony, I'm with you on this one. I guess that means we either call too many or we really don't care. It is probably the latter.
I called 232 travels, 316 fouls, and no one cares.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I called one more travel than I should have, in a college JV game. I totally booted it after talking about rules with some collegues.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I'm like most, probably wouldn't remember, or care to remember, but since i had so few they were easy to remember.

high school
1 player when he fouled out and didn't like it
1 coach, but all he said was "Don't ask any questions, just give me a T..." i kinda looked at him and he said really..trying to get his team fired up...well i guess it worked, they came back and won the game...

college
2 double t's for trash talking

6 total
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

This has been my worst year. I only Volunteer Ref in a Rec League. Been doing it for 13 years. This year after a blow-out in 5-6 Grade, I walk over to get some water while the Teams are in the handshake line. It was a pretty uneventful game. Other than the Winning Coach had tried to call a late TO when the Losing Team had the ball. I booted the call but when I saw which team had pocession.....I just did an IW and gave it back to them.

When I get back, the two Coaches are pushing & shoving. I grab the Winning Coach who is going crazy and bear-hug him. He's swinging his arms and dropping the F-Bomb in front of the kids and grannies?! I had the feeling the Losing Coach was just defending himself. He was no problem. I had to hold the Winning Caoch for a couple of minutes to calm him down. Kept telling him not to be a bad example for the kids.

The next week, the Losing Coach comes over an apologizes to me first thing. I say no problem. I Ref another game with the Winning Coach. He never apologized about the week before either before, during or after the game.

I'm kind of amazed the League Directors didn't boot him over the incident especially the language? In the old days of our League....the guy that ran it would have booted him instantly.

Anyway, after one substitution and before I administer the Throw-in....he's got 6 on the floor. This is 5-6 so I don't get too technical. I tell him,

"Coach, you have 6 out there. I don't want to call a T. Get one out."

The guy's wife handles the Subs for him. It's an Equal-Time League and he Subs by a Matrix instead of 5 in and 5 out. (Funny, it seems his kid is always in?) He starts screaming and berating his poor wife on the bench in front of the kids.

So after the Game...I made a big decision...I hung up the whistle. When you do this as Volunteer you have to like the people in the League. I don't like this guy. I figure it's better to quit than to get into a horror-show with him in the Play-offs.

So....I have one old collared shirt and one collarless shirt For Sale....XXL....make me an offer for one. (My wife wants to save the other for my wake.)

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
1 - book
2 - Coaches (V), after being warned to stop complaining about every call/no call. One of those actually thought that because it was halftime, he could read me the riot act and not get a T. He knows different now.
3 - Player, one for slapping backboard hard and in disgust, the other two for profanity after fouls were called.
1 - Double Flagrant (chest bump followed by retaliatory shove)

That being said, I did have the opportunity to exercise some patience when it came to a player cursing under his breath and only I heard it. I was going to give the T, then decided it would be better if I just spoke to him and said that I didn't want to hear anything like that again. It was during the lining up for a free throw and I was administering, so I had the time to do that. No problem after that.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I remember 2.

One on a head coach. I remember only b/c it was the first game of the season.

One on a player for hanging on the rim after an alley-oop. He dunked, held on with one hand, turned around to point to the guard that threw the pass, then let go. Hard to T a guy for saying "thanks". . . nah, not really