The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
So after the Game...I made a big decision...I hung up the whistle. When you do this as Volunteer you have to like the people in the League. I don't like this guy. I figure it's better to quit than to get into a horror-show with him in the Play-offs.

So....I have one old collared shirt and one collarless shirt For Sale....XXL....make me an offer for one. (My wife wants to save the other for my wake.)
You hangin it up completely, or just on this league? Hopefully, even if you're done donning the strips, you'll continue to come here and entertain us with some of your fictional stuff. That's some good $h!t.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
How emotional is an out of bounds or traveling call?

Funny you should ask this. I was C. Standing right in front of B's bench. Ball goes out of bounds between me and the endline as 2 players are going hard for it. I blow my whistle and as I turn to point hard to make sure and sell the call that we're going the other way, B's coach is a step or 2 out on the floor and I poke him right in the cheek. I didn't realize it at the time, but he came out after halftime and showed us the wound where I had actually drawn blood. I simply said to him, "Coach, if you had been in your box..." We had a good laugh over it, but not as good a laugh as I had on Monday night at the dinner table. Said coach also happened to be my daughter's school teacher. At school the following Monday morning, one of the kids asked him how he had got cut on the cheek. He responded, "Julie's dad got mad at me in the game on Saturday and tried to beat me up."
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
I gotta agree with Tony...why are we counting these? Is it like a hunter coming out of the woods with the trophy buck tied to the hood of the pick-up? I certainly hope not...on the other hand, if I said I had zero T's so far this year with three or four games left to go, does that mean I'm not as "good" as someone who has 7 or 8??? Again, I hope not...I really don't get this thread - a T is just like any other call. Call it when you need to, don't when you don't need to...why the fascination with T's???
Too much Kool-Aid being passed around in this thread, IMO. T's are NOT, NOT, NOT like any other call, regardless of how many clinicians say so. Usually there's emotions running high on the coach's part and many times on the official's part (unless the official is a robot). How emotional is an out of bounds or traveling call?

I remember how many technicals I call, but usually forget by the next season. They are rare enough in my world that each one takes up a portion of my memory. I remember them not because I want to relive the glory of putting my hands together and awarding free throws, but because I want to remember how I handled situations.

2 Ts this season. One was a cumulative thing where the coach was talked to by all three of us during the first half. We talked about it at halftime and after the first foul in the second half, the coach called one of my partner's "ridiculous" while I was C in front of him. The other was a gesture made to my partner's back while I was coming up on the bench as the T tableside.

Remembering these doesn't mean I'm a gunslinger. It means I looked back to determine if the Ts were justified. They were. Both coaches, in retrospect, probably wanted one.
I agree totally. I don't have any this year. Last year either for that matter. Looking back, I probably should have given on early in the year when I called a 10 second backcourt violation and the coach went off. After he vented though the game went along just fine.

I know I have a long leash but I prefer to treat a coach as an adult and at least have a short conversation with him after a call he doesn't like. I think it is much more effective than "whacking" and walking away.

Your implication is that calling a technical is not treating a coach like an adult. I disagree. The rules are there for a reason. You're treating him in the fashion the rules call for. Besides, he's obviously not ACTING like an adult.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well!!

Re: Well!

quote:Originally posted by Stripes1950
I did call one in girls season, about 30 games (HS JV & V). We still have girls in the fall here in Michigan. That one was for a taped over earring on a JV player.

Stripes, I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but you can't give a T for the earring. You simply send the player out of the game, or not allow her entry into the game. There's no provision for a technical foul for this equipment violation.

I stand corrected. That will not be called by me again. Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a little late to the discussion, but here it goes.

This year only 4, but last year I served up 13. Of those, only 2 were on coaches.

My favorite one was on a player. We had played nearly 7 minutes, crew called 1 foul, and my first call of the game is a blatant travel. Player turns to me and says "are you f***ing kidding me?" Not then, not now.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also a bit late to this thread......but....

I do a lot of adult's rec ball - 8 to 10 games a week. So I probably call more t's in a fortnight than most guys call in a year.

Had two last night, both on the same player. First one was for hanging on the net. Then about 2 minutes later called a pushing foul on him, and he spun round and yelled "what a f#$!ing joke". Two t's, so he got tossed. BTW his team ended up going down by 5

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
I'm also a bit late to this thread......but....

I do a lot of adult's rec ball - 8 to 10 games a week.
There is help out there. You can beat your masochsim!