The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 10:07am
Huck Finn

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that many referees couldn't handle the addition duties associated with a shot clock. Clock operators and scorekeepers make mistakes, but so do referees.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:15pm
9 times

Re: Mr. DeNucci:

Quote:
Originally posted by IdahoRef
You've seen the games where the final score is 5-8. Don't you think the shot clock would be better than stalling? I understand that "stalling" is part of the game, but it's a part of the game that makes this great game of basketball boring and in my opinion a long shot clock would help. Thanks for your thoughts.
This is by far the exception rather than the rule. IMO, not having a shot clock allows less talented teams to stay in the game by controlling tempo and limiting scoring opportunities.

Shot clock at the HS level makes the rich richer.

I vote no.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that many referees couldn't handle the addition duties associated with a shot clock.
Because it is by far the lesser of the two problems. The officials' only added duty with the shot clock is to judge if a shot was released before the horn and then subsequently touched the rim. That's not too different from any last shot at the end of a quarter.

The shot clock operator's duties are much more complex and are more often the cause of any problems.

True, the officials should know when the operator has made an error; and they often don't recognize the error at the HS level. But that doesn't make it their error.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Shot clock in NYC CHSAA has been a good addition, but many shot clocks (or possibly their operators) have had issues.

Nonetheless, while most high school teams shoot way before even 20 seconds has passed, there is an occasional possession where the 35-second clock comes into play and creates some additional drama.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock- California

I work those lower games where my shot clock operator is 14 years old. It is just another skill set that you develop. Basically a quick glance and you know if everything is cool. Not alot of problems. Also maybe 1/2 actual violations a game, Including girls frosh. So I like it but then again I never reffed the other way.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Mark: I hear you. Three years ago in Idaho at our large division girls championship state final, we had a stall game with something like an 8-5 score! The winning coach was quoted as saying he knew he could not beat the opponent without stalling. It's been a sore spot for us Idaho guys. I truly appreciate your thoughts. It's causing me to think.