The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

During a game, when is the official required or mandated by the rules to handle the ball? (tip, free throws, after TO)

I was under the impression that when a basket was made by your opponent that your inbounder could immediately retrieve the ball and inbound it without the official having to hand it to your inbounder.

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ckrct5
During a game, when is the official required or mandated by the rules to handle the ball? (tip, free throws, after TO)

I was under the impression that when a basket was made by your opponent that your inbounder could immediately retrieve the ball and inbound it without the official having to hand it to your inbounder.

Thanks
Your impression is correct. However, if said basket is a free throw, and there is a sub waiting at the table to check in, the official should promptly sound the whistle and allow the sub to enter. In this instance, the official would handle the ball during hte substitution, but once he administers the throw in, the thrower may still run the baseline.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Your impression is correct. You're one-for-one! Good start. Welcome to the forum!
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

W&S, Chuck:

How about a little advice then. I coach in a competitive 5th grade league. We get the same 2 officials every game. Whenever our opponent makes a basket (FG), they make my inbounder give them the ball, they wait 3-5 seconds and pass the ball back to my inbounder. Kills us on a pressing team because they set their defense. Ocassionally, they'll even tell one of the opponents to check their tied shoe laces.

When we make a basket, they do not require the same of our opponent. I've got 2 assistant coaches who constantly complain about calls and I suspect they have at some point angered the officials.

What should/can I do regarding the inbounds AND to attempt to smoooth over anything that may have happened in the past?

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:

Thanks
Your impression is correct. However, if said basket is a free throw, and there is a sub waiting at the table to check in, the official should promptly sound the whistle and allow the sub to enter. In this instance, the official would handle the ball during hte substitution, but once he administers the throw in, the thrower may still run the baseline.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

5th Grade? For starters, what do you need TWO ASSistants for? And if they've been giving the officials hell, you don't deserve a damn thing. First thing you need to do is get control of your assistants.

You could approach the officials and ask why your team is treated differently then the other teams. If that don't work, call the assigner and ask him. It sounds like you or your ASSistants have done something in the past and you come here with only half of the story. Spill the beans. But remember this is 5th grade ball. Teach the kids to dribble, and then worry about the officials.

And get rid of your ASSistants.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
What should/can I do regarding the inbounds AND to attempt to smoooth over anything that may have happened in the past?
Two things:

1) Tell your assistants that the next time either one speaks to an official, he's fired. Period. Assistants have no right to talk to the officials. At all. Ever. Period.

2) Try to remember that you're coaching a 5th grade league. That's not an insult or a put-down at all. Your demeanor is paramount around boys at this age. They will follow your lead. So if you get argumentative with the refs (which is doesn't sound like that has happened at all), the boys will adopt that same attitude. What is really important? Teaching the kids and having some fun in the process. Teach the press-break and look at it as a chance to get good at it.

If it really seems to be an on-going thing (and/or a personal thing), you can also do a couple things. You can respectfully raise the question with the official. "Is there a rule stating that my boys have to give you the ball before an inbound, b/c the other team doesn't seem to be following it?"

If you can't get anywhere with the official, you can go to the league director and ask for a clarification or ask him/her to deal with the problem.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'd ask the league assignor or commish about the rules. Some of these leagues have goofy rules that might be the reason the officials are asking for the ball. If this isn't one of their rules, the assignor should let the officials know that they are not doing it correctly. If you ask, depending on the official, you might not get the most constructive feedback. Also, the next time one of your assistants pops off about something, you ask them to leave the bench. This will let the officials know that you have modeling good sportsmanship in mind and they will appreciate it. It will also probably save you a T or two down the line because I know that I wouldn't listen to much from a 5th grade assistant. Good luck.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5th Grade? For starters, what do you need TWO ASSistants for? And if they've been giving the officials hell, you don't deserve a damn thing. First thing you need to do is get control of your assistants.

You could approach the officials and ask why your team is treated differently then the other teams. If that don't work, call the assigner and ask him. It sounds like you or your ASSistants have done something in the past and you come here with only half of the story. Spill the beans. But remember this is 5th grade ball. Teach the kids to dribble, and then worry about the officials.

No need for that kind of language, nor that kind of attitude on this forum.

Someone asks a legitimate question and you insult them. Not Cool.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Quote:

Who died and made you moderator?
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, what he said.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:

Whoever it was that didn't moderate the comments in the first place.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

1) Tell your assistants that the next time either one speaks to an official, he's fired. Period. Assistants have no right to talk to the officials. At all. Ever. Period.

[/B]
Chuck, you're singing my favorite song!

And just to tick people off, I tend to agree about the juvenile name-calling. We don't need any more of it on this site.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Two things:

2) Try to remember that you're coaching a 5th grade league. That's not an insult or a put-down at all. Your demeanor is paramount around boys at this age. They will follow your lead. So if you get argumentative with the refs (which is doesn't sound like that has happened at all), the boys will adopt that same attitude. What is really important? Teaching the kids and having some fun in the process. Teach the press-break and look at it as a chance to get good at it.

If it really seems to be an on-going thing (and/or a personal thing), you can also do a couple things. You can respectfully raise the question with the official. "Is there a rule stating that my boys have to give you the ball before an inbound, b/c the other team doesn't seem to be following it?"

If you can't get anywhere with the official, you can go to the league director and ask for a clarification or ask him/her to deal with the problem.
What he said.

And what Whistles&Stripes and Rich Fronheiser said.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Two things:

What he said.

That's pretty inconsistant.

Chuck's comments were well thought out and helpful without any profanity or insults.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 05:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Two things:

What he said.

That's pretty inconsistant.

Chuck's comments were well thought out and helpful without any profanity or insults.
Chuck's comments weren't that much different than Whistles&Stripes comments, imo, except for the presentation. They both essentially said the same thing.

And, as for the other, if you think what W&S said is profane and/or particularly insulting, then you musta led a very sheltered life. That's just my opinion however. My opinion on this forum is the same as yours, in that neither one of our opinions matters. Whether I agree with W&S, and believe me we have certainly have disagreed before, it is still the moderator's job to censor, delete, whatever. It ain't up to you or me.