The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
We've all seen "Hoosiers", right? I had seen it, but not recently. So I recently bought the DVD. Great movie. The Hackman/Hershie "relationship" doesn't work, even after you watch the deleted scenes, but that's the only flaw in the film, as far as I'm concerned. (Actually, there's one other very large flaw in the story, but I won't ruin it for people who will watch the DVD extras.)

But the reason I'm posting this is that the DVD contains the actual game footage from the Muncie/Milan state final game from 1954. Has anybody seen this footage? It's amazing. Jump balls (which Milan won all but 1 or 2), one FT for every foul (including charges), 2 refs in long sleeves and white shoes (both watching the ball at all times), no handchecking (none; I don't mean they didn't have any handcheck fouls -- I mean the players did not place hands on each other except in the attempt to block a shot), Muncie played a horrible first half by taking 30 foot jumpers (a half dozen times) as soon as they got over midcourt, Milan held the ball for about 4 minutes of the 4th quarter while they were down by 2.

If you haven't seen it, it would be worth it to rent the DVD just to watch the actual game. Just thought I'd share.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If you haven't seen it, it would be worth it to rent the DVD just to watch the actual game. Just thought I'd share.
Yes, indeed. Thanks for sharing!
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to have to watch that. I love that movie--I just referenced it in another thread!
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
I just referenced it in another thread!
That's what inspired me to dust it off and finally watch it.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 05:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I remember watching HS games as a kid in the 60s with 1 shot fouls and the 5th foul in each quarter triggering the bonus. I do not remember 1 shot for a charging foul.

I will have to get that DVD just for the bonus material. The Barbara Hershey character reminded me of the type of person who would like to see all players have equal PT in all games at all levels.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 06:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
I do not remember 1 shot for a charging foul.

I do. I worked those rules. That was before the "player control foul" concept came in. You had 2-shots fouls on a player shooting and one shot fouls on everything else, including "T"s.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 07:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I do. I worked those rules. That was before the "player control foul" concept came in. You had 2-shots fouls on a player shooting and one shot fouls on everything else, including "T"s.
I remember one shot Ts on players and 2 shots on coaches from my stint in the 70s.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Geez....I didn't know there was anyone out there as "old" as me!

Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 08:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Quote:
Quote:

Geez....I didn't know there was anyone out there as "old" as me!

I like to regale youngsters (since I "look" pretty young myself) of the days when we had to cross over as the trail official during a live ball so we could get back in "the Cadillac." Also like to mention basketball without the 3 pointer, the lack of action rule, and actually having jump balls in the free throw circles (I played in those games, didn't officiate).
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

I like to regale youngsters (since I "look" pretty young myself) of the days when we had to cross over as the trail official during a live ball so we could get back in "the Cadillac." [/B][/QUOTE]

Rich...what do you mean "to cross over as trail to get back in the cadillac"? Does that mean you would rotate as the trail in 2-man to the ball-side and leave off-ball unattended? I'm assuming the lead stayed ball-side as well...what were the primary areas for each position in this court positioning?

And another question for the "more experienced" guys...were there any unique mechanics used to call the old 3-on-3 girls basketball? I remember that odd game from when I was in high school in the late 60's-early 70's.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't that the old 'court is on your right' philosephy?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich
I like to regale youngsters (since I "look" pretty young myself) of the days when we had to cross over as the trail official during a live ball so we could get back in "the Cadillac."
This wasn't even really all that long ago. I started working HS ball in '93 and that was still the mechanic. I think it changed in '95.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndog89
Rich...what do you mean "to cross over as trail to get back in the cadillac"?
It means that the Lead was "supposed" to always be to the right of the backboard, as you faced it. But you still had to box in the players at the beginning of every play. So if the ball went OOB somewhere that required the Lead to be on the "wrong" side of the lane, you would box in the play to start and then during the play each official would move back to his/her "normal" position. This would occasionally force the Trail to move completely across the playing court during play.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 12:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I went to two FIBA camps, in 99 and 00, and that's how they did it there. That was only 6 years ago.

On another note, at this camp I saw an evaluator take notes and his one comment for an official: NFC. Very classless, IMO.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
NFC.
Ok, I'll bite. "No dextering. . .???" What's NFC?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich
I like to regale youngsters (since I "look" pretty young myself) of the days when we had to cross over as the trail official during a live ball so we could get back in "the Cadillac."
This wasn't even really all that long ago. I started working HS ball in '93 and that was still the mechanic. I think it changed in '95.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndog89
Rich...what do you mean "to cross over as trail to get back in the cadillac"?
It means that the Lead was "supposed" to always be to the right of the backboard, as you faced it. But you still had to box in the players at the beginning of every play. So if the ball went OOB somewhere that required the Lead to be on the "wrong" side of the lane, you would box in the play to start and then during the play each official would move back to his/her "normal" position. This would occasionally force the Trail to move completely across the playing court during play.
Sounds confusing. Why was it changed, and does anyone know who or what was the driving force behind that change? i.e., was it the NCAA or NFHS or FIBA or the NBA or officials themselves or even coaches? I find this fascinating for some reason.

BTW, I love 3-man mechanics and can't imagine running a boys varsity HS game with just a single partner. I've been fortunate in that both states I've called HS ball in use 3-man for varsity. One of our officials is moving this summer and he thinks they do 2-man where he's going...he sounds pretty nervous about it.