Thread: Hoosiers
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
We've all seen "Hoosiers", right? I had seen it, but not recently. So I recently bought the DVD. Great movie. The Hackman/Hershie "relationship" doesn't work, even after you watch the deleted scenes, but that's the only flaw in the film, as far as I'm concerned. (Actually, there's one other very large flaw in the story, but I won't ruin it for people who will watch the DVD extras.)

But the reason I'm posting this is that the DVD contains the actual game footage from the Muncie/Milan state final game from 1954. Has anybody seen this footage? It's amazing. Jump balls (which Milan won all but 1 or 2), one FT for every foul (including charges), 2 refs in long sleeves and white shoes (both watching the ball at all times), no handchecking (none; I don't mean they didn't have any handcheck fouls -- I mean the players did not place hands on each other except in the attempt to block a shot), Muncie played a horrible first half by taking 30 foot jumpers (a half dozen times) as soon as they got over midcourt, Milan held the ball for about 4 minutes of the 4th quarter while they were down by 2.

If you haven't seen it, it would be worth it to rent the DVD just to watch the actual game. Just thought I'd share.