Thread: Hoosiers
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich
I like to regale youngsters (since I "look" pretty young myself) of the days when we had to cross over as the trail official during a live ball so we could get back in "the Cadillac."
This wasn't even really all that long ago. I started working HS ball in '93 and that was still the mechanic. I think it changed in '95.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndog89
Rich...what do you mean "to cross over as trail to get back in the cadillac"?
It means that the Lead was "supposed" to always be to the right of the backboard, as you faced it. But you still had to box in the players at the beginning of every play. So if the ball went OOB somewhere that required the Lead to be on the "wrong" side of the lane, you would box in the play to start and then during the play each official would move back to his/her "normal" position. This would occasionally force the Trail to move completely across the playing court during play.
Sounds confusing. Why was it changed, and does anyone know who or what was the driving force behind that change? i.e., was it the NCAA or NFHS or FIBA or the NBA or officials themselves or even coaches? I find this fascinating for some reason.

BTW, I love 3-man mechanics and can't imagine running a boys varsity HS game with just a single partner. I've been fortunate in that both states I've called HS ball in use 3-man for varsity. One of our officials is moving this summer and he thinks they do 2-man where he's going...he sounds pretty nervous about it.