The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

i do not have my rule/case books with me, can some one help me out?
GV tourny game. A1 receives 5th personal in OT while fouling to stop the clock (10 sec or so left.) on her way to the bench she pulls her shirt tail out in disgust...not of the call, but more b/c of the situation (they were down by 2.) Is this an automatic T? I am assuming that there was no other reason to T her.

In this game the officials issued a T. Double bonus, so 4 shots and B's ball.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Nope. Not unless she takes her jersey off.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

We were told in our state meeting (North Carolina) this year that this is an automatic "T"
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

My interpretation of the rule was that the uniform was to be worn properly until the player leaving the court reached the bench. If the player untucked the shirt, no matter what he or she was disgusted about, before reaching the bench, TWEEEET.... WHACK. At least that is what my state wants you to do.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 04:36am
In Memoriam

From this year's rulebook:

POE #1 A:
"Players are increasingly using their uniforms in unsporting ways. Examples include: ....pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional way..."

"Unsporting" = technical foul.

Handle with care.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

If she's on her way to the bench because she's done, almost there, and yanks her shirt, I'm looking in the other direction when it happens. IMHO that's a little overly officious if you're going to call that.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
If she's on her way to the bench because she's done, almost there, and yanks her shirt, I'm looking in the other direction when it happens. IMHO that's a little overly officious if you're going to call that.
Agreed. In overtime, in a close playoff game, you don't see that. WWMTDNSD?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

I absolutely agree that unless he or she does it while standing in the middle of the paint, let it go. ESPECIALLY in a tight, OT game. It would be a disservice to possibly impact the outcome of the game because a player was walking to the bench and untucks the jersey, even though by the book that is how it should be called.

On that same token, Earlier this year I was given the opportunity late in the game of a semi-blowout (15 points or so) to establish that that the rule is going to be enforced. Player got his fifth and as he walked 5 feet in front of me, untucked the jersey. In my little time as an official, I have quickly figured out that you have to establish that the rule will be called if a player chooses to violate it. You hate to make an example of a kid, but that is the best medicine for establishing a new rule.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

That was a point of emphasis for all 50 states this year. We are told to "Ding" em to get this practice stopped.