The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   untucking jersey (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25069-untucking-jersey.html)

de la hoops Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:02pm

i do not have my rule/case books with me, can some one help me out?
GV tourny game. A1 receives 5th personal in OT while fouling to stop the clock (10 sec or so left.) on her way to the bench she pulls her shirt tail out in disgust...not of the call, but more b/c of the situation (they were down by 2.) Is this an automatic T? I am assuming that there was no other reason to T her.

In this game the officials issued a T. Double bonus, so 4 shots and B's ball.

mplagrow Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:07pm

Nope. Not unless she takes her jersey off.

MajorCord Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:30pm

We were told in our state meeting (North Carolina) this year that this is an automatic "T"

WooPigSooie Sun Feb 19, 2006 03:02am

My interpretation of the rule was that the uniform was to be worn properly until the player leaving the court reached the bench. If the player untucked the shirt, no matter what he or she was disgusted about, before reaching the bench, TWEEEET.... WHACK. At least that is what my state wants you to do.

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 19, 2006 04:36am

From this year's rulebook:

POE #1 A:
"Players are increasingly using their uniforms in <b>unsporting</b> ways. Examples include: ....pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional way..."

"Unsporting" = technical foul.

Handle with care.

mplagrow Sun Feb 19, 2006 09:47pm

If she's on her way to the bench because she's done, almost there, and yanks her shirt, I'm looking in the other direction when it happens. IMHO that's a little overly officious if you're going to call that.

TriggerMN Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mplagrow
If she's on her way to the bench because she's done, almost there, and yanks her shirt, I'm looking in the other direction when it happens. IMHO that's a little overly officious if you're going to call that.
Agreed. In overtime, in a close playoff game, you don't see that. WWMTDNSD?

WooPigSooie Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:48am

I absolutely agree that unless he or she does it while standing in the middle of the paint, let it go. ESPECIALLY in a tight, OT game. It would be a disservice to possibly impact the outcome of the game because a player was walking to the bench and untucks the jersey, even though by the book that is how it should be called.

On that same token, Earlier this year I was given the opportunity late in the game of a semi-blowout (15 points or so) to establish that that the rule is going to be enforced. Player got his fifth and as he walked 5 feet in front of me, untucked the jersey. In my little time as an official, I have quickly figured out that you have to establish that the rule will be called if a player chooses to violate it. You hate to make an example of a kid, but that is the best medicine for establishing a new rule.

IdahoRef Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:21am

That was a point of emphasis for all 50 states this year. We are told to "Ding" em to get this practice stopped.