The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I heard about this one from a couple of friends. Team A wins the game by two points. Fans and/or players of Team A confront the officials about "how poor the officiating was" (even though they won). Officials warn to back off or be "T"ed. Criticism continues so official assesses "T" against Team A. Team B hits both free throws to send game into overtime. Team A coach is really upset now and refuses to send his team on to the court for overtime. Official tells coach that if he does not send team out, then Team A forfeits. After a period of time (not sure how long) Team A coach changes his mind and tells official that they will play. Official says that it is too late, "Team A coach had already made his decision", and that the game is over. Team B wins by forfeit.

What say ye?
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe if I were there to experience exactly what happened I would think differently about it, but I can't imagine making any such call. I would just get out of the gym, and report the incident to my assignor and let him handle it from there.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Why was the ref(s) hanging around in the first place?

Where was the police and game administration?

"IF" this happened the moment Coach A refused to send his team back on the court the game is over by forfeit.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I know that an official has the authority (and the responsibility) to call a "T" if necessary even after time has expired. I was curious about how the official handled the refusal of Team A's coach to bring the team back out. How long would a coach have to make a definite decision? 30 seconds? I guess initially he said no, then changed his mind, but the official said that the coach had already made his "no" decision first and couldn't change it now.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Why was the ref(s) hanging around in the first place?

Where was the police and game administration?

"IF" this happened the moment Coach A refused to send his team back on the court the game is over by forfeit.
This was a game between two small private schools. The way I understand it, the officials were confronted as the two teams were shaking hands at mid-court. The officials were probably retrieving their jackets from the scorer's table.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

If he's not ready to play when you get ready to toss the ball, go home.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

You made that story up.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Time2Ref
You made that story up.
No, it is true. I am familiar with both teams. I have officiated games for both schools involved. I also know Team A's coach well enough to know that he would refuse to send his players out.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I believe you.

Fill me in on the steps that they took in completing the forfeit.

Did they have to fill out a report and send it in to the association? Or did they just tell the official scorekeeper? Isn't the official scorekeeper from the home team? Couldn't they have just said "OK", and then forget about it? Was it in the local newspaper? What city was this? What school?

Did these guys get their check?

What happened to the irate fans after they lost anyway? They seem to settle down?

I believe you, but I don't believe your friends, who told you this story.

We need more details.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Time2Ref
Ok, I believe you.

Fill me in on the steps that they took in completing the forfeit.

Did they have to fill out a report and send it in to the association? Or did they just tell the official scorekeeper? Isn't the official scorekeeper from the home team? Couldn't they have just said "OK", and then forget about it? Was it in the local newspaper? What city was this? What school?

Did these guys get their check?

What happened to the irate fans after they lost anyway? They seem to settle down?

I believe you, but I don't believe your friends, who told you this story.

We need more details.
I know for a fact that this happened. I was not at the game actually myself (hence the "I heard this from some of my friends"), but I have talked to coaches who were at the seeding meeting the next day after this game, when the discussion of this game came up. The final outcome would determine a higher seed for one of the two schools.

The home team was "Team B". I know that you usually designate the home team as "Team A". As I relayed the story, I reversed the designations (not realizing I was going to be cross-examined) I was told it was in the local paper (this is the next town up the road) but I have not seen it for myself. This game determined who would be the higher seed going into the tournament. The visiting team is protesting their loss. If I get any more details, I will gladly pass them along.

Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

The home team was "Team B". I know that you usually designate the home team as "Team A".
[/B][/QUOTE]

No, we usually designate the offensive team as "Team A." We usually designate the home team as "the home team." I still think this is a charade.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 01:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
No, we usually designate the offensive team as "Team A." We usually designate the home team as "the home team." I still think this is a charade. [/B][/QUOTE]

Man, I thought I was a skeptic when it came to stuff on the internet. Why don't you buy this story?

[Edited by Snaqwells on Feb 18th, 2006 at 01:30 AM]
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Crazy things happening out there. Check this one out:

http://www.rlnn.com/ArtJan06/Sheperd...yConcerns.html
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

The reason I do not buy this story, what official in his right mind after a game like this stand around to converse with fans and parents! After a game I'm like a black and white blur to the lockeroom. With the comment they were getting there jackets after the game, WHAT? Who wears there jackets after halftime. Why would you penalize the kids on what the fans said AFTER the game. GET IN, GET DONE , GET OUT!!!!!
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

"Lodge Grass Superintendent Doug Woods said he was surprised at his team's behavior at the Shepherd game. The coach and the players took issue with what they believed to be unfair treatment by the referees, and the emotions escalated out of control, Woods said."

Now it's ok to get 6 T's in a game if you feel you're getting unfair treatment by the officials??? Sheesh!! Nothing like the School Sup backing the coach/players actions. I would think he'd be embarrassed and someone would get terminated/ suspended/ kicked off the team. I'm sure those officials were really sticking it to em that night (insert long spooky laugh here).