The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Hi guys, was wondering if you guys could clarify an aspect of the Principle of Verticality for me, namely, can your arms be non-vertical as long as no contact is made with the arms?

6 closely related scenarios for you:
(1) Defender is completely stationary, but his arms are held out in front of his body like a zombie pose. Ballhandler charges into defender's body, but no contact is made with the defender's arms (that is, he went between the defender's arms). Offensive foul or defensive foul? (My guess: offensive)

(2) Defender is stationary, except he is now spinning his arms at his side as if he's jumping rope. Again, ballhandler charges into defender's body, but no contact is made with the defender's arms. Offensive foul or defensive foul? (My guess: offensive)

(3) Defender is completely stationary, but his arms are held out in front of his body like a zombie pose. Ballhandler charges face-first (ouch) into the defender's stationary hand. Offensive foul or defensive foul? (My guess: defensive)

(4) Like #1, defender is in zombie pose, but now also jumping straight up and down. Ballhandler leaps into him for a layup attempt, again without any contact with the arms. Offensive foul or defensive foul? (My guess: offensive)

(5) Like #2, defender is spinning his arms at his side, but also jumping straight up and down. Ballhandler leaps into him for a layup attempt, again avoiding contact with the spinning arms. Offensive foul or defensive foul? (My guess: offensive)

(6) Like #4, defender is jumping straight up and down in zombie pose. Ballhandler leaps into him for layup attempt, but this time, contact occurs with defender's arm. Offensive foul or defensive foul? (My guess: defensive)

Thanks for your time and help, guys.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adhocID
Hi guys, was wondering if you guys could clarify an aspect of the Principle of Verticality for me, namely, can your arms be non-vertical as long as no contact is made with the arms?

Yes -- although it's likely that an official will see some contact with the arms in at least some of your cases.