The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Just curious

Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim
Going to get roasted here.. but I will throw it out anyway.

If at halftime a rational, calm fan approaches you and asks a simple question, respectfully, why not choose to be an amassador for the game and answer.

NOW I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE FOLLOWING:
1) interacting with a hostile fan, clearly they should be ignored or tossed out depending on their degree of hostility and how they are expressing it.
2) getting in a long drawn out conversation that would distract you from your halftime duties.
3) The guy is looking for an arguement.
AGAIN, those situations are not what I am asking about.

I am saying, why walk around with a chip on your shoulder, prejudging all fans as the enemy. If you sense the guy has genuine question, and was just seeking to understand something, and you can teach him a principle of the game with a 10 second conversatino.. why not be a teacher for a moment instead of a policeman.

Would that not fit nicely in the role of a quality official.
Well, just as a cautionary tale, I would not have believed I would do this - the other night, end of a hotly contested game, coming out of a time-out, I am trail near the sideline, my partner is administering near the endline, a fan-lady walking by takes a step or two onto the court, pats me on the butt and says I missed such-and-such a call.

She came and was gone . . . I just ignored it . . .
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bellnier
I value all your opinions...where did I say that I didn't? What has little value, however, is the attack by bgtg19...he wasn't at the game and knows nothing about my objectivity. My original intent was not to ipugn the integrity of the referees---I was just curious as to how other refs would handle the situation as I described it.
Here is the thing. Players, parents, fans and coaches get very little respect here. Their views are often clouded. Most on this board will take the side of the officials- and they should it's an officials site primarily.

Many of the non-officials who post on this site are trying to make officials look bad. Or at the least prove that they have more knowledge than the officials working the game.

So please understand it is not personal, especially if we hold suspect your motives.

It is our right to stand up for our fellow officials and at the same time post atl. possibilities of what probably happened in your sit.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bellnier
My question is probably pretty obvious by now: shouldn't this girl have been ejected from the game or at least received a technical? Thanks in advance...
Simple note: Players are not ejected ... but disqualified. They cannot be sent to the locker room or other confins outside of visability of their guardians. They remain on the bench and with their team.

Coach's are eject-able.

That said; somebody scream's a death wish in my game - there would have to be a real obvious reason no T was delivered. I support what the officials did as the best alternativewith the info that we have.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the thing. Players, parents, fans and coaches get very little respect here. Their views are often clouded. Most on this board will take the side of the officials- and they should it's an officials site primarily.

Many of the non-officials who post on this site are trying to make officials look bad. Or at the least prove that they have more knowledge than the officials working the game.

So please understand it is not personal, especially if we hold suspect your motives.

It is our right to stand up for our fellow officials and at the same time post atl. possibilities of what probably happened in your sit.
OK. It's been a while since I've posted (or even read many too many posts). I hope the opinions you express are simply your opinions and do not accurately reflect the sentiments of the majority of the users of the board. I am a coach who had a bunch of questions last year and - although I brought a coaches perspective and did not agree with all of the responses I got - I thought there was a very intelligent and respectful dialogue. I know that I learned a lot and I think that at least a couple of officials learned something about a system they weren't familiar with. I hope that, even though it is primarily a board for officials, this kind of respectful dialogue is still possible.

I realize that your job is often a thankless one (thank you all, by the way) and that rabid competitive zeal can easily turn into hostility, but many of us coaches and, I'm sure parents, still feel that we are colleagues in the same pursuit. This is really not simple naivety talking - I coach in the former per-capita murder capital of the country and I'm just way too far past the point where wins and losses are anywhere near the top of the priority list.

Of course you have a right to stand up for fellow officials, but is that what this has really come down to? I would expect you to rally to a fellow official's defense if he/she were being attacked but, otherwise, isn't the purpose of the board about how to best protect the integrity of the game and those who play, coach and watch it? What's the danger in assuming the man asked legitimate question and just answering honestly? Why circle the wagons and parse the hell out of each sentence? I started reading this post because I played a team yesterday that did more swearing then Sam Kinison, and I really wanted to see how different officials thought about the issue.