The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
There's a lot of judgement about sportsmanship going on here.
Like Junker wrote, "Poor sportsmanship for sure, but this is how a lot of records are broken." So what?!!! Give it a rest. When records are set, very often they were recorded against a poor team.

Prince, a 5-foot-9 senior guard, led her team to a 137-32 victory over Brandeis High School. 105 points

• 1982, Miller made 46 of 50 field goals on the way to 105 points. Her Riverside Poly (Calif.) squad defeated Riverside Norte Vista, 179-15.164 points

• Lisa Leslie of Morningside HS in Inglewood California scores 101 in 1st half, South Torrance HS decides not to play 2nd half and loses 102-24. 78 points in one half.

mick

• That was my thought too mick. Thanks for doing the research.

I did come up with a way to discourage doing this to a clearly overmatched opponent.
    The idea is loosely based upon the concept used in track and field of windaided times or jumps. They win the meet, but don't qualify for the record books.

Put in some kind of provision that the NFHS only recognizes records set in competitive games. I don't know exactly how to word it, but these ridiculous blowouts don't qualify.

Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:54am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    There's a lot of judgement about sportsmanship going on here.
    Like Junker wrote, "Poor sportsmanship for sure, but this is how a lot of records are broken." So what?!!! Give it a rest. When records are set, very often they were recorded against a poor team.

Prince, a 5-foot-9 senior guard, led her team to a 137-32 victory over Brandeis High School. 105 points

• 1982, Miller made 46 of 50 field goals on the way to 105 points. Her Riverside Poly (Calif.) squad defeated Riverside Norte Vista, 179-15.164 points

• Lisa Leslie of Morningside HS in Inglewood California scores 101 in 1st half, South Torrance HS decides not to play 2nd half and loses 102-24. 78 points in one half.

mick

• That was my thought too mick. Thanks for doing the research.

I did come up with a way to discourage doing this to a clearly overmatched opponent.
    The idea is loosely based upon the concept used in track and field of windaided times or jumps. They win the meet, but don't qualify for the record books.

Put in some kind of provision that the NFHS only recognizes records set in competitive games. I don't know exactly how to word it, but these ridiculous blowouts don't qualify.

Interesting concept.

How many home runs you gonna take away from Barry Bonds because he was facing a "less than competetive" pitcher?
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:08am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    All the examples Mick gave occurred in girls' games. Anybody know if this sort of thing happens in boys' games? My guess is that if somebody tried to do it in a boys' game, the would-be record-setter would be laid out flat before he could get there.
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:24am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias
    All the examples Mick gave occurred in girls' games. Anybody know if this sort of thing happens in boys' games? My guess is that if somebody tried to do it in a boys' game, the would-be record-setter would be laid out flat before he could get there.

Sarcasm on
    Yeah, like what happened to Kobe when he put 81 on the Raptors. Or Wilt when he dropped his 100. Those guys really got laid out!

Sarcasm off
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:28am
    Official Forum Member

Well, there was a night a few years ago where DaJuan Wagner and some other boy both went over 100 points on the same night, in 100+ point wins for their teams. The other kid scored 18 points in the last 3 minutes while the team was up about 100 points and in a full court press.

Last year in Minnesota, a boy named Cash Eggleston scored something like 91 points in a lopsided win between two "charter" schools. He made something like 17 3-pointers in the game by continually being fed the ball. I don't know exactly what was said, but I do remember that the MSHSL discussed the matter both with the school's AD and coach, and basically scorned them for their poor sportsmanship.
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:32am
    Official Forum Member

Had a team announce to the media that they were playing a weak team and were going to try to set a state scoring record. They scored 132 points (state record 139).

Just wrong!
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:34am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
    I acctually have an even worse (I think) display of bad sportmanship.

Team is up big (think it's 50 or 60 points) and the losers onyl have 4 players left to play with, the rest have fouled out. The winners are full court pressing on the poor 4 guys left! Full court, all game out. The losers coach is asking him politly "you've won, there's no need to humiliate us" no answer, he asks the ref "can you please ask him to stop this, it's humiliation, they've won" ref simply says: "not my problem" and goes on calling the game.

For me that's even worse sportmanship
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:35am
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb Boy's basketball

According to the National High School Sports Record Book, 15 boys have scored 100 points in US high school basketball games. (Other sources list up to 18.) The most notable player ever to do so is former NBA player Dajuan Wagner, who scored exactly 100 for Camden High (NJ) in a 157-67 victory over Gloucester Township Technical School on January 16th, 2001.

The all-time record is held by Danny Heater, who scored 135 for Burnsville High (WV) in a 173-43 win against Widen High on January 26th, 1960.
    http://members.aol.com/jeff570/heater.html

Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:39am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
    Yeah, like what happened to Kobe when he put 81 on the Raptors. Or Wilt when he dropped his 100. Those guys really got laid out!
    My guess (and I said it was a guess) was that teenage HS boys would not have the self-control and professionalism that most adult pros have on the court.

Perhaps I was wrong. Thanks for the boys' examples.
    Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:42am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
    Hey, reverse field for a minute. When these games are scheduled, both programs are aware that one is going to totally obliterate the other. Most times the 12th or 13th player on the winning team would be the first or second best player on the losing team. I agree that the top prospects shouldn't be in the game after the first quarter, but how many opportunities are going to come along for these events to happen? When these games come about (46 for 50 form the field?!), you have to take advantage of them. Some people don't shoot that well in the gym by themselves.

In a competitive matchup, there will be someone evenly matched or close enough in physical talent to guard/defend this person. You will rarely see this happen in a close game. The Kobe game was rare, because he scored 81, but the game was close until late. On the HS level, there are going to be times when you get matched up with a team that is lucky to make it off the bus without losing points or players. Put the onus on the state associations to make the conferences evenly matched. the Chicago Public schools system is nice, because you are moved to a different division from year to year based on your record and competitiveness the previous season.