The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   113 points in blow-out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24687-113-points-blow-out.html)

rockyroad Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:41am

So some HS girl scored 113 points last night...her team won 137-32. Coach left her in when she had 58 at halftime so she could break the record...she took 60 shots and hit 54 of them. Coach's quote; "At the half, we thought she had a chance to break the recordso we just let her go." In a 105 point blow-out...anyone else hear anything about this?

tjones1 Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:51am

I heard about it as well. In my opinion, real bad display of sportsmanship.

mick Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:54am

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...g-record_x.htm

Note: Lisa Leslie --> 101 in 1st half. 1990

rockyroad Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25am

Lisa Leslie refused to go back into the game in the second half...her coach wanted her to go in and break the record and she said no...

mick Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Lisa Leslie refused to go back into the game in the second half...her coach wanted her to go in and break the record and she said no...
Oh !?!!

USA Today said "Two-time WNBA MVP Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in a half for Morningside High School in Inglewood, Calif., against South Torrance in 1990. South Torrance refused to play the second half."

The legend lives.
mick

Nate1224hoops Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:34am

Quote:

Thats not what the article said. It said that the opposing team refused to come back out to play the second half. She scored 101 in the first half, why would she refuse to score 17 more to break the record. IMO bad sportsmanship line has already been crossed. No coach should let things like this happen. Had the player scored 113pts and her team won a close game that one thing, but beating a team by 100points is classless.

bgtg19 Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:50am

We all recognize that to score 113 points in 32 minutes is only possible (or 101 points in 16 minutes - full court press the whole half for a lay-up drill?!) with really bad opponents. There is essentially no way to look at this as an "achievement."

Poor sportsmanship to be sure.

rainmaker Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by bgtg19
There is essentially no way to look at this as an "achievement."
Absolutely true. Even the "Generals" don't have to put up with this kind of mistreatment!

rockyroad Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Oh !?!!

USA Today said "Two-time WNBA MVP Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in a half for Morningside High School in Inglewood, Calif., against South Torrance in 1990. South Torrance refused to play the second half."

The legend lives.
mick

Interesting...I read the article about it in my local paper, and it made a point of saying that it was Leslie who refused to play in the second half. Hmmmm...just read the USA Today on on-line and it has what Mick and Nate 1224 say. Interesting...I still think it's pretty stinky to run up 137 points on a team like that - even to break a record. I wonder what that girl will think 30 or 40 years from now when she looks back on it...

JCrow Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:27pm

113 points might be a super achievement if your Team won by 2. But when your Team wins by 105 points, it's awful. I don't blame the HS kid...I blame the Coach. What kind of person doesn't have his 12th bench warmer in when they are up by 105?

Awful......

(Maybe I'm jealous cause I only scored a whisker over a 100 points in my HS career.)

ShadowStripes Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:50pm

I hope the officials had some handchecks against the team pressing. Disgraceful show of sportsmanship...

Can you imagine the public outcry if this girl, going to Rutgers, would have blown out a knee when they were up 80-85 points?

tomegun Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:54pm

Maybe it is poor sportsmanship for one player to score that many points, but what if there is some kind of tie-breaker that goes by winning margin against common opponents? What if one of these rules caused this coach to miss the playoffs in years past? Maybe there is more to it or maybe it is just plain bad sportsmanship.

Junker Thu Feb 02, 2006 03:45pm

Poor sportsmanship for sure, but this is how a lot of records are broken. At least she wasn't hitting a bunch of home runs in smaller ballparks, with more games, and on the juice.

mick Thu Feb 02, 2006 04:34pm

There's a lot of judgement about sportsmanship going on here.
Like Junker wrote, "Poor sportsmanship for sure, but this is how a lot of records are broken." So what?!!! Give it a rest. When records are set, very often they were recorded against a poor team.

Prince, a 5-foot-9 senior guard, led her team to a <B><font color = red>137-32</font></B> victory over Brandeis High School. <B>105 points</B>

<LI>1982, Miller made 46 of 50 field goals on the way to 105 points. Her Riverside Poly (Calif.) squad defeated Riverside Norte Vista, <B><font color = red>179-15</font></B>.<B><font size = +2>164 points</B></font>

<LI>Lisa Leslie of Morningside HS in Inglewood California scores 101 in 1st half, South Torrance HS decides not to play 2nd half and loses <B><font color = red>102-24</font></B>. <B><font size = +2>78 points in one half.</B></font>

mick

cloverdale Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:12pm

you can be counted on

when i heard this the first thing i wanted to know was how many did the other team score...then i found out 32 pts...i couldn't believe how angry i got...this is simply shameful, coach and school should be taken to task for such brazen display of unsporting behavior...just want to spit nails...thanks, enough of this soap box