View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
There's a lot of judgement about sportsmanship going on here.
Like Junker wrote, "Poor sportsmanship for sure, but this is how a lot of records are broken." So what?!!! Give it a rest. When records are set, very often they were recorded against a poor team.

Prince, a 5-foot-9 senior guard, led her team to a 137-32 victory over Brandeis High School. 105 points

• 1982, Miller made 46 of 50 field goals on the way to 105 points. Her Riverside Poly (Calif.) squad defeated Riverside Norte Vista, 179-15.164 points

• Lisa Leslie of Morningside HS in Inglewood California scores 101 in 1st half, South Torrance HS decides not to play 2nd half and loses 102-24. 78 points in one half.

mick

• That was my thought too mick. Thanks for doing the research.

I did come up with a way to discourage doing this to a clearly overmatched opponent.
    The idea is loosely based upon the concept used in track and field of windaided times or jumps. They win the meet, but don't qualify for the record books.

Put in some kind of provision that the NFHS only recognizes records set in competitive games. I don't know exactly how to word it, but these ridiculous blowouts don't qualify.