Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by wfd21
In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
Even in NCAA, it's an immediate violation if it occurs during a designated spot throw-in. 9-5-2a.
Where is the rule on first touching the ball after returning from OOB?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:14am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
Even in NCAA, it's an immediate violation if it occurs during a designated spot throw-in. 9-5-2a.
Where is the rule on first touching the ball after returning from OOB?
See my previous post in this thread. Rule 9.4.1 NCAA

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

David -

I'm not sure what there would be to clear up, unless they change it to the "first to touch" rule.

IMO, the way the rule is written, the advantage your looking for doesn't or shouldn't depend on whether the player receives a pass. If not called, the advantage would / could be that four offensive players are allowed to move about ALL over the inside of the gym instead of staying within the confines of the court. I think the defense would be at a distinct disadvantage if they had to guard players in the stands...at the snack stand...in the locker room (Yeah, I know, I'm being silly).

Seriously though, this is how I look at this. IT IS a disadvantage to have to guard people that are allowed to play outside the confines of the court. (To be clear, in my one time calling this, the player did not just "step" out...they ran out by close to two feet. So yes, I do think discretion is important and I don't look to call it when someone steps on or just outside the line.)
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: That's what I've thought!

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Thats the difference between NCAA & NFHS. You call it as soon as it happens in NFHS. In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe I've heard from my association that we should wait until the player receives the ball. Otherwise, there's no advantage. If a player goes out of bounds to avoid a player and then is not involved in the subsequent play, what advantage was gained? None! Its similar to setting a blind screen without a normal step between the players. You wouldn't call that immediately without there being some contact would you? No, because there was no advantage gained from the illegal screen until contact was made.

Anyone else hearing the same thing about not calling the violation until the playing going out of bounds touches the ball?

Thanks!
Randall

That's the way I've thought it should be interpreted and called; however, I could be wrong, but

IMO, that is the purpose of the rule, to keep a player from gaining an advantage.

Simply a player stepping out of bounds, (could be accidental) I'm not calling it a violation - I just don't see FED wanting that to be the rule.

But sometimes FED is kind of strange on their interpretations.

I've not seen or had to call it this year.

Thanks
David

I'm editing this to add the change from the site -

LEAVING COURT FOR UNAUTHORIZED REASON CHANGED TO VIOLATION (9-3-)2 Typically, this play is seen when an offensive player goes around a low screen, runs outside the end line and returns on the other side of the court free of their defender.

The violation will be called as soon as the player leaves the court.

The committee hopes that changing the penalty will increase the likelihood of the infraction being called and eliminate this tremendous advantage.

Typical NFHS, they want the violation called immediately, but then the committee adds that the reason for putting the rule in the book is because the offensive team gained an advantage.

I still have a hard time calling this when NO advantage is gained since that was the intent of the rule.

This should be cleaned up for next year IMO.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:11 AM]
I disagree. The player who goes out of bounds to avoid a screen gains an immediate advantage...he wasn't screened.

The rule is clear. Call it immediately.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS says "typically" this happens when a player is avoiding a screen. I would like to see a little more explanation of this. Situation earlier this season: Offensive and defensive players standing close to one another along the base line. The offensive player drifts (steps) completely out of bounds. The player does not go anywhere or get involved in the immediate play. I call the violation. My question is this, "Is this a violation like 3 seconds or is it a violation like traveling?" I have heard opinions in both camps from officails that I have worked with. My thought is that some judgement should be used when calling this, but until that is spelled out by someone I will continue to call it as written.