View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

That's what I've thought!

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by wfd21
Thats the difference between NCAA & NFHS. You call it as soon as it happens in NFHS. In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe I've heard from my association that we should wait until the player receives the ball. Otherwise, there's no advantage. If a player goes out of bounds to avoid a player and then is not involved in the subsequent play, what advantage was gained? None! Its similar to setting a blind screen without a normal step between the players. You wouldn't call that immediately without there being some contact would you? No, because there was no advantage gained from the illegal screen until contact was made.

Anyone else hearing the same thing about not calling the violation until the playing going out of bounds touches the ball?

Thanks!
Randall

That's the way I've thought it should be interpreted and called; however, I could be wrong, but

IMO, that is the purpose of the rule, to keep a player from gaining an advantage.

Simply a player stepping out of bounds, (could be accidental) I'm not calling it a violation - I just don't see FED wanting that to be the rule.

But sometimes FED is kind of strange on their interpretations.

I've not seen or had to call it this year.

Thanks
David

I'm editing this to add the change from the site -

LEAVING COURT FOR UNAUTHORIZED REASON CHANGED TO VIOLATION (9-3-)2 Typically, this play is seen when an offensive player goes around a low screen, runs outside the end line and returns on the other side of the court free of their defender.

The violation will be called as soon as the player leaves the court.

The committee hopes that changing the penalty will increase the likelihood of the infraction being called and eliminate this tremendous advantage.

Typical NFHS, they want the violation called immediately, but then the committee adds that the reason for putting the rule in the book is because the offensive team gained an advantage.

I still have a hard time calling this when NO advantage is gained since that was the intent of the rule.

This should be cleaned up for next year IMO.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:11 AM]