The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation on saturday. Late in the game, under 30 seconds... Coach wants a foul and instead, my partner comes out with a jump ball. Coach is still screaming for a foul. I get close to him and say "Check the possession arrow. Sill want a foul called?" He says, "no... well maybe on them!" LOL!

[Edited by ThickSkin on Jan 30th, 2006 at 11:10 AM]
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
[B]My personal favorite is the coach who screams, "And one!" On every shot by his players, even if there's not a defender within 10 yards.

I had a game last week when one teams players would holler "and one" on every drive and shot. My partner told them he did not want to hear it said again. It worked so well I added it to my pre-game.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Heard a new one over the weekend, but it wasn't aimed at the officials. Coach yelling to his guards who were trying to spin the ball around the perimeter to a 3-point shot in the corner - "You gotta do it quicklier."

Next dead ball I was in front of that bench, looked at the coaches and just said, "Quicklier?" Players, coaches and nearby fans all lost it!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I really love the fact that I am missing a good game, the player's arm was ripped off so she can actually dribble with her other hand and the ominous please bail my out of control player out of the charge.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
It's very important to understand that body language is very flexible in its meaning. Gestures need to be analyzed in concert with floor play.

Prime example - take the very common yet versatile two-arms-extended-shoulder-shrug move. When my players are on offense in the paint, I'm sure this gesture means, "Aw c'mon, where's the FOUL!" But this great expression takes on an entirely different meaning at the other end of the floor when we are defending. Clearly, it means, "What? What was that? Aw c'mon, he hardly touched him!"

See - one gesture, very different meanings...

(coach sneaks back to the coaching box hoping not to get slapped with a T)
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
The one i love is the coach looking at the scoreboard then saying the fouls are 10-1.
Actual Situation from Saturday, Girls Freshman Balll, scored tied 26-26 early 4th quarter.

Coach: Fouls are 9-3. (Her team had committed 9.)

Me: Yes, well the score is tied at 26, and that's the number used to decide who wins the game.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 02:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
The one i love is the coach looking at the scoreboard then saying the fouls are 10-1.
Actual Situation from Saturday, Girls Freshman Balll, scored tied 26-26 early 4th quarter.

Coach: Fouls are 9-3. (Her team had committed 9.)

Me: Yes, well the score is tied at 26, and that's the number used to decide who wins the game.

and the coach chuckles....
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Had this one last Sat. (college game) - haftime horn has just sounded; visiting coach walking off the floor yells - "they're fouling us on every possession!"......his team was leading 34-30 and the foul count was 8 (home) to 3 (visitors).

Earlier in the first half, after calling a fouling on the home team, the same visiting coach was yelling at me: "they fouled my guy 3 times during that possession". He wanted to argue with me that the foul I called wasn't good enough.....go figure.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Especially on the handcheck/push in the back on the drive. They scream "FOUL" as their player drives around the defender to the basket. The when the foul is called and their player is shooting two shots, "Good call, ref." Other end of the floor, "No, it was on the floor before the shot!"
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe no one has included a version of "Call it both ways!". Closely akin to "That was the same play on the other end and you did/did not call a foul".

I also like "What did he say/do?!" when we have called a common or technical foul on a player, yet everyone sees or hears what the foul was for.

And last, let us not forget the coach whose player has just knocked another player to the ground by jumping into an opposing offensive player. This coach can surely be found standing silently with wide eyes and arms extended straight up in the air...