The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I alled a T on a coach last night for coming out of the coach's box and on the floor to argue a call. It was just after the buzzer for halftime. He tried to say he was heading to the locker room but he was extremely vocal against us. IMO, he deserved it. He came back on the court with his team with about 2:30 lest on the clock for halftime. He sat on his bench and proceeded to stare me down for the remainder of the halftime intermissiomn. I ignored him and did not play his silly game. How would you handle this? Would you ignore it? Would you warn him? I did nothing and everything seemed to calm down once we started the second half. We completed the game with no other problems from him.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
I alled a T on a coach last night for coming out of the coach's box and on the floor to argue a call. It was just after the buzzer for halftime. He tried to say he was heading to the locker room but he was extremely vocal against us. IMO, he deserved it. He came back on the court with his team with about 2:30 lest on the clock for halftime. He sat on his bench and proceeded to stare me down for the remainder of the halftime intermissiomn. I ignored him and did not play his silly game. How would you handle this? Would you ignore it? Would you warn him? I did nothing and everything seemed to calm down once we started the second half. We completed the game with no other problems from him.
Since it worked out as you say, it was the right thing to do. I don't usually respond to the stare down if it's from a distance. Others whack for this automatically. If I'm correct in piecing together info from this thread and from your other thread, it would have been this coach's second T. I'm not sure that would have been a good move. Sounds like it worked this time. Next time you might have to give him his walking papers.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Well this is a tough situation, you cannot T him up (JMO) a second time for staring you down, just imagine filling out that report. I'm interested to see what others say though.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think everybody knows my thought on this. You can't T a person for doing literally nothing. You had it exactly right. Just don't play the game.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing. Don't play his silly game. Let him stand there making a jerk out of himself in front of everyone. And wasn't it Dan that said that's the reason that referee pants have front pockets?

Z
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 04:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Guys - of course you stare back - directly at his pants. Haven't you learned anything?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Guys - of course you stare back - directly at his pants. Haven't you learned anything?
Mark,

I'm not real good with on the spot comebacks but do you have any good one liners I could say to him as I pass by to start the second half?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

No comebacks needed.....stay professional........get in,get done, get out.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

A coach wouldn't be staring me down since I'm not paying attention to the coach at that point. If he wants to look my way intently, go for it. I don't care what he or anyone else thinks.

Realize that all people who do childish things are only embarrasing themselves.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh that's a good one....

Coach stares you down. You stare back, glancing down at his pants. He looks down. You smile and say "made you look"

Classic!

Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Wack him for ilegal gazing!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Mark,

I'm not real good with on the spot comebacks but do you have any good one liners I could say to him as I pass by to start the second half?
Johnny, very, very few of us can get away with snappy comebacks, especially in the OP sitch. Usually it just inflames the people involved and leads to more trouble. By the time the coach is staring, he's used up his resources, and can only resort to childish defiance. If you throw that back in his face, showing him up with your rapier wit, you might as well just toss him right on the spot and get it over with. There are exceptions to this rule, of course, since there are some refs who have exactly the right demeanor to pull this off. But you don't want to learn the hard way that you're not one of them. I had to learn it the hard way, and it wasn't pleasant.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 12:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
he was extremely vocal against us. IMO, he deserved it.
That's all that matters.

Quote:
He sat on his bench and proceeded to stare me down for the remainder of the halftime intermissiomn. I ignored him and did not play his silly game.
Good idea. Let him stew in his own anger.

Quote:
How would you handle this? Would you ignore it? Would you warn him?
I would have handled it such that we never heard from him again.

Quote:
I did nothing and everything seemed to calm down once we started the second half. We completed the game with no other problems from him.
I guess I would have ignored him, too!

Good job!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Very difficult to argue with silence...often better to stay silent than going for the snappy one liner and removing all doubt. Also, silence is a lot easier to explain later on if you have to.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ignoring the coach is the best way of handling this. You don't want a "staring contest." Goulet! Trigger....are you reading this one. You win again, you always do.