Thread: Not my week
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I posted the other day about a girls' varsity game Tuesday. Last night I worked a freshman g/b double header. The home coach at one point came out during a time out asking me to do something about my partner. My partner was doing a nice job. He's a solid official I'm always glad to work with. I told the coach as much and assured him we were calling the game consistantly and asked him to return to his huddle. He did so, no problem. Late in the game, home was down 4 or 6 with about 30 seconds. Coach wants his girls to foul obviously and is yelling for them to do so. They do not and run the clock down to 8. My partner calls a foul from trail and reports it. As we set up for the free throw, home coach loses it. Comes walking out on the floor like he's a D1 guy looking for a T. He gets his T. He continues to stand and I go over remind him that he needs to be on the bench now, which he does. Here comes the bad part. There was a wrestling meet at the high school so we didn't have a dressing room. After the game, coach comes out and wants to talk to us. I tried to intercept him and send him on his way, but my partner decided to listen to him. He started off somewhat respectful, but that ballooned into us taking the game away from his girls...blah, blah, blah, the usual. We have no where to go. We finally broke off the conversation as the boys were warming up. Coach feels it's his duty to tell the boys coaches, "good luck with these guys." I would have ejected him so he would be suspended for a game (he needed it), but the fans were all ready all over us feeding off his actions and none would understand how he could be tossed after the game. In the spirit of not ruining the second game before it started, I let it go and called my assignor this morning. He is calling the AD. Boys' game went on without a hitch besides going to overtime. Ok, I'm finished venting. College game tonight so things should be better.