The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

As many of you know, I made the switch this year from officiating to coaching. Last night, we were winning big and this happens. A1 steps in front of a pass intended for B1 (A1 doesnt score very often so I was excited) as she intercepts the ball B1 reaches in and slaps down on the ball causing the ball to hit off of A1's shin. A1 was dribbling toward the other end of the floor.....TWEET!! I look up and the official, who is still learning the game, called a kick. Once the game was over I ask him about the call. I said, "doesn't it have to be an intentional act before it can be called a kicking violation?" He was very unsure of himself but replied with "it's a new rule this year coach, if the ball strikes anywhere from the knee down to the foot it's a kick...doesnt matter intentional or not. Get a rule book and see for yourself."

Well I left the game feeling as though he was wrong and I normally have a rule book in my bag but unfortunetly I didnt last night. Has anyone else heard of this NEW RULE???
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

UUHHHHHHH

No.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Nope

I think the official is the one that "kicked" the call. Hopefully, s/he will look into this "new rule".
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Well, he was probably referring to the rule change that did make it a violation to intentionally hit the ball with any part of the leg. The rule change did not affect the intentional requirement. So, he blew the call.

You said that the official is still learning the game. Give her/him a break. I hope that conversation took place *only* because s/he solicited your feedback knowing that you used to officiate. As much as you'd like to, it's not your job to educate officials. You coach. Talk to your players after the game (and during the game for that matter). You said that you were winning big when that happened ... and then you sought him out to ask about that call after the game? Let it go. Let it go.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Well, he was probably referring to the rule change that did make it a violation to intentionally hit the ball with any part of the leg. The rule change did not affect the intentional requirement. So, he blew the call.

You said that the official is still learning the game. Give her/him a break. I hope that conversation took place *only* because s/he solicited your feedback knowing that you used to officiate. As much as you'd like to, it's not your job to educate officials. You coach. Talk to your players after the game (and during the game for that matter). You said that you were winning big when that happened ... and then you sought him out to ask about that call after the game? Let it go. Let it go.
Thanks for the feed back. You read way to much into what I said. I knew he was wrong when he made the call during the game. I simply walked over after the game was over and asked for an explaination. There was no controversy. I wasnt trying to educate anyone. As far as letting it go, I don't know how I could have handled it any differently, I let it go until what I felt was the appropriate time.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
I knew he was wrong when he made the call during the game. I simply walked over after the game was over and asked for an explaination. *** As far as letting it go, I don't know how I could have handled it any differently.
Respectfully, if you knew that he was wrong when he made the call, then there is no need for an "explanation." Right?

With respect to your comment: "I don't know how I could have handled it any differently," I'd like to suggest that a different approach would have been to leave one blown call in a blow out game *completely* alone and simply not walk over to talk to the official about it.

I'm not trying to call you out; I'm just trying to point out that you might want to rethink what happened. Best wishes.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

You got the rules response. I just wanted to add that I have no problem with the way you handled it. It sounds like it was done in a respectful manner and it sounds like the official got the call wrong - not because of a judgement situation but becaus they did not know the rule.

IMO, I'm glad you brought it up. That official may or may not look into the rule more, but I believe there is a greater possibility of them doing so because you approached them. If they do look into it, they may be better informed for the very next game and similar situation. Otherwise, they may go for who knows how long before some other official brings it up to them.

I guess I'm trying to say they may be a better official, in part due to this conversation.

(FWIW, I had a coach approach me during halftime of a Varsity game. I did the JV game and he was the JV coach. It was a brief, respectful conversation about traveling and I had no problem with it.)
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I agree with NU. Early in my career, I called a violation during an throw-in when the pass hit the rim.

The coach calmly asked me why I called a violation, then asked if I was sure. I was.

I was also wrong as I found out when I checked my books after the game.

Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
I knew he was wrong when he made the call during the game. I simply walked over after the game was over and asked for an explaination. *** As far as letting it go, I don't know how I could have handled it any differently.
Respectfully, if you knew that he was wrong when he made the call, then there is no need for an "explanation." Right?

With respect to your comment: "I don't know how I could have handled it any differently," I'd like to suggest that a different approach would have been to leave one blown call in a blow out game *completely* alone and simply not walk over to talk to the official about it.

I'm not trying to call you out; I'm just trying to point out that you might want to rethink what happened. Best wishes.
With respect to everything you have said, I think the two above comments better serve the situation. I could have just let it go, but I wanted to know WHY a violation was called. Maybe I missed something. His call was a kicking violation. I knew that was an incorrect call; however, I just wanted his view of the situation. I simply, in the kindest way possible, said I think that rule states that a player must intentinally kick at the ball for it to be a violation. He responded with, "no,anytime the ball strikes the leg from the knee to the foot its a violation, check your rule book. It's a new rule." I knew he was wrong. I just put a bug in his ear about the INTENTIONAL part. Hopefully he looks it up and see's his mistake.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Nu1 and Bob that you handled it well coach. His partner may or may not have questioned him the same way depending on their level of expertise and view of the play. I would have no problems being approached by a coach in the manner you did and even though I thought I was 100% sure, I would still go and check my rule book. In this case let's hope he did and it's the last time he "boots" the kick call.