The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

After a made basket, team "A" is inbounding the basketball. A double foul is called. Can team "A" still run the baseline or does it become a spot through in, or does it go to the possesion arrow, or what?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

no possession arrow

team A would still have the ball and retain the baseline. we continue on in the game much as if nothing had happened when thos fouls occured and just play on.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Can you please tell me where in the book you come up with your answer.

Thanx
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

i dont

have my book on me -- but if im going by if a team with the baseline gets fouled before the throw in is completed and the throw in will on the baseline then they retain thr right to run baseline.

I dont see why because of a double foul going to POI would make that throw in a spot throw in.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kokayne
Can you please tell me where in the book you come up with your answer.

Thanx
That's actually an excellent question.

Rule 4-36 (new rule this year). When there is a double foul, you resume from the point of interruption.

Interesting though because you'd think that Team A would lose their rate to run the baseline due to A1 being involved in a foul. I don't think this case is specifically addressed for NFHS.

College refs... is it addressed in NCAA?

Z
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

The NFHS rule on running the endline is 7-5-7. "After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line."

Note that the right to run the endline is retained after a common foul. A double foul is not a common foul. NFHS 4-19-2: "A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor intentional nor committed against a player trying or tapping for a field goal nor a part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul."

So A does not retain the right to run the endline. However, as Z pointed out, you do go the POI (which does not, however, include running the endline).
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Works for me,

thanx
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The NFHS rule on running the endline is 7-5-7. "After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line."

Note that the right to run the endline is retained after a common foul. A double foul is not a common foul. NFHS 4-19-2: "A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor intentional nor committed against a player trying or tapping for a field goal nor a part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul."

So A does not retain the right to run the endline. However, as Z pointed out, you do go the POI (which does not, however, include running the endline).
I agree with the ruling presented above. By being involved in the double foul, A1 cost his team the right to run. I don't know if that is fair or not since both teams fouled and it seems that Team A is being punished more by also losing the running privilege. Perhaps the NFHS should look at this now that we have POI. Under our current rules they lose the running since a double foul is certainly not a common foul.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 06:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Little twists like this keep me intrigued in rules!

My preference is that A keeps the endline. I guess I am a purest when I implement Point of Interruption.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Re: no possession arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
team A would still have the ball and retain the baseline. we continue on in the game much as if nothing had happened when thos fouls occured and just play on.
Remember their is no team control on throw-ins....
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: no possession arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Correct, but so what?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Re: Re: Re: no possession arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Correct, but so what?
I thought I read something about team control in the thread. My fault, still early.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Where's a moderator when you need one?!?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the rule quoted by Back in the Saddle matters. We are returning to the POI so I say let A run the baseline.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Team A does NOT retain the right to run the endline. The rule as BITS quoted above requires that when a COMMON FOUL is called on Team B, Team A will retain the right to run the endline. The new rule on POI does NOT supercede that.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 21st, 2006 at 04:02 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith