The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I have looked in the Officials Manual and Rule Book and I must be missing it. I am living under the belief that the calling ref, Technical Fouls, is the one who should administer the free throws . Can anyone give me a reference assuming I am correct ?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The reference for HS is simply that you switch on all fouls. So it doesn't matter who calls it. It's whoever is the Lead after the switch.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Could be why I didn't find a reference LOL
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

How about in 3 man? The calling official goes table side on all calls. I called a technical foul on the head coach the other night in a girls varsity game and stayed table side. Fts were being shot at that end of the court. So I am standing in front of the coach that I T'd up. He ask me what he did to get the technical. I feel as if his actions do not need a response, so I ignore the question. He doesn't like that and so he sends his captain over to ask me why I gave him a technical. So I turned around and told him that he was practicing poor sportsmanship. Did we do this wrong - am I supposed to go administer the FTs?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
Could be why I didn't find a reference LOL
Try looking in your Officials Manual (#233) for two officials.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
How about in 3 man? The calling official goes table side on all calls. I called a technical foul on the head coach the other night in a girls varsity game and stayed table side. Fts were being shot at that end of the court. So I am standing in front of the coach that I T'd up. He ask me what he did to get the technical. I feel as if his actions do not need a response, so I ignore the question. He doesn't like that and so he sends his captain over to ask me why I gave him a technical. So I turned around and told him that he was practicing poor sportsmanship. Did we do this wrong - am I supposed to go administer the FTs?
Read: #354 and #357 of your NFHS Basketball Official Manual.

Next read a thread on communicating to head coach’s or skim through your state associations hand book.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

johnny

I saw that I thought I had seen one that specifically dealt with Techinical fouls.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about in 3 man? The calling official goes table side on all calls.
The calling official has the option of going opposite the table on Ts (and if it's not in the Official's Manual, it should be).
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: johnny

Quote:
I saw that I thought I had seen one that specifically dealt with Techinical fouls.
It does for 'Three Officials' #357 yet for 2-person it states, "The Calling officials shall always change positions after each foul is called. The free official is responsible to force the change..."

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: johnny

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
It does for 'Three Officials' #357 yet for 2-person it states, "The Calling officials shall always change positions after each foul is called. The free official is responsible to force the change..."
The reason for the difference is that in 2-whistle, there is never an official directly in front of the coach or coaching box during a FT. So there's no reason to give the calling official the option of going opposite the table. The calling official is either going to be Lead (on the endline) or Trail (opposite the table). In neither case is s/he in a position to have the coach right in his/her ear.

In 3-whistle on the other hand, the calling official will be Trail, directly in front of one of the coaching boxes. So if the situation is heated, s/he has the opposite of going opposite and being the Center official instead of staying table side to be the Trail.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Personal Opinion) If you are "Ref" enough to call the "T"
then you should be "Ref" enough to explain the "T" if the coach asks you. Be short and to the point, he is within his right to ask why. Even if you know he already knows.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

ctpfie: "So I turned to him and said you're practicing poor sportsmanship"....

HUH?!!

Why are you saying that he is practicing poor sportsmanship? He's asking a legitimate question - "what do I do?" - and you're not responding to him OR his captain? A "T" is just another foul call made during the course of the game. Don't get so worked up that you lose your composure. Give him his answer. If he doesn't like it or doesn't want to hear the answer - THEN ignore him.

The 3 officials working the game should be the 3 calmest people in the entire building.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well, this was an unsporting technical. This is why I gave him the technical. He was complaining about a foul call I had just made on one of his players. This wasn't the first time he was complaining. Every call I made against his team he complained about. I gave him the stop sign on the previous foul call and told him that was enough. In the situation that he got his T - he wasn't talking to me, but instead using a very low class tactic IMO, and using his player to get to me. After I reported the foul, he called his player over so that the player is standing right in front of him, and he is telling her that she did everything right on the play and if that official wants to make crap up like that, then that is his problem. The problem wasn't that he was telling his player this in a calm rationale voice, he was talking loud enough for my partners to hear every word of what he was saying and one was lead and the other center! He knew that he had a technical coming!!! Why do I have to take the time and explain that to him? What other way can I put it? Come to think of it this just happen to be the first technical I have given to a coach. I seemed to be calm about the situation.
I apologize for overtaking this thread.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Based upon that description, you made the right call, but I'd still probably respond to the coach, even if it was, "coach, you know exactly what the problem was; what you stated to the player was unsportsmanlike and it was penalized." At that point, you can then ignore future comments.

I usually answer questions unless they are ridiculous. But likely even then, I respond in some way even with just eye contact or a head shake/nod that essentially answers their questions.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
This is FIBA but I think you should use it if you havn't got a better one

After a technical foul the calling official goes table opposit while his partner administeres FT's, this is to isolate the official from the coaches after having called a Technical.
NEVER stay tabelside after a technical foul call

That really helps, esspecialy when the coach is the size of T-Mac or Magic Johnson, and I myself isn't even two meters¨

Summary: Get away from there, go straight over the court after the T and don't look back