The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

As I was reading some of these posts, I thought of a situation that I haven't run into yet but probably will and not sure if I would administer correctly.

Here is the situation: B1 Team Fouls 5. Personal foul on A1 by B1 proceeded by technical foul by a) B1 b)Coach of B1 or c) B2. In any of those cases would you have a bonus free throw situation before the technical?

I'm thinking if they are administered in the order they occurred, there wouldn't be, but I've been wrong once before.

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Greg, I believe that I understand your question and that you are also correct about the ruling.

However, your terminology is confusing, as evidenced by Teigan's strange response, so allow me to clarify.

At a certain point in one half of the game Team B has committed 5 team fouls.
Now B1 fouls A1. A1 was NOT in the act of shooting when fouled. This is Team B's sixth foul of the half. No bonus FTs are merited.

The coach, B1 himself, or teammate B2 objects to the foul call and is charged with a technical foul. This is Team B's seventh team foul of the half. 2FTs are awarded as the penalty for this technical foul and Team A is also awarded the ball at the division line opposite the table.

I believe that is the situation you are asking about. In short, since the fouls are penalized in the order in which they occur in NFHS play, there is no bonus for the personal foul committed by B1. FTs are only awarded for the technical foul.

Now if Team B had previously committed six team fouls and then this situation happens, you would award a 1-1 followed by 2FTs for the T, and then the ball at the division line.

If that is what you were after, then as I said before, you have the correct understanding.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

However, your terminology is confusing, as evidenced by Teigan's strange response, so allow me to clarify.

Well, well, well... he deleted that post too. As someone else on here has been saying lately, "It's an epidemic."

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I actually had a similar situation on Sunday.

B1 fouls A1 as A1 begins to drive the lane (9th team foul). After a few steps B1 then pushes A1 from behind so I call an "intentional technical" on B1 (his 5th, team's 10th). A1 is hurt on the play and has to leave the game. We bring a player off the bench to shoot 1 and 1. Another player then shoots two and A gets the ball OOB. My question is where do they get the ball?

By the way this all happened with less than a minute to go in the game and team B was up by three.

The sub misses the front end of the 1 and 1, and the other player hits both of his FT's, so now we have a one point game. We give the ball to team A under their basket (at the spot of the second foul), since it was an intentional (I still don't know if this was correct). Anyway on the inbound play, A5 gets the ball and proceeds to make a break for the wrong basket! Over and back violation, team B gets the ball and sinks a three and winds up winning by 4! Unbelievable!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

You did everything right except that the throw-in should have been from the division line opposite the table because the second foul was a technical foul for intentional dead ball contact.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by stosh
I actually had a similar situation on Sunday.

B1 fouls A1 as A1 begins to drive the lane (9th team foul). After a few steps B1 then pushes A1 from behind so I call an "intentional technical" on B1 (his 5th, team's 10th). A1 is hurt on the play and has to leave the game. We bring a player off the bench to shoot 1 and 1. Another player then shoots two and A gets the ball OOB. My question is where do they get the ball?

If this was under NFHS rules, all technical fouls have their throw-ins at center. I believe that an intentional technical foul under NCAA rules does also, instead of the POI.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

by 1 minute!!! Nay, nay....
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answer. I'm just thinking that if we did it that way, the kid may not have made a run at the worng basket, so instead of helping team A we may have actually helped to confuse them. BTW these were 15 year old boys, so they should have had a better sense of the game situation.

Also coach B asked "How could you call two fouls on the same player?" My answer: "Simple, he committed two fouls" he couldn't disagree.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
by 1 minute!!! Nay, nay....