View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Greg, I believe that I understand your question and that you are also correct about the ruling.

However, your terminology is confusing, as evidenced by Teigan's strange response, so allow me to clarify.

At a certain point in one half of the game Team B has committed 5 team fouls.
Now B1 fouls A1. A1 was NOT in the act of shooting when fouled. This is Team B's sixth foul of the half. No bonus FTs are merited.

The coach, B1 himself, or teammate B2 objects to the foul call and is charged with a technical foul. This is Team B's seventh team foul of the half. 2FTs are awarded as the penalty for this technical foul and Team A is also awarded the ball at the division line opposite the table.

I believe that is the situation you are asking about. In short, since the fouls are penalized in the order in which they occur in NFHS play, there is no bonus for the personal foul committed by B1. FTs are only awarded for the technical foul.

Now if Team B had previously committed six team fouls and then this situation happens, you would award a 1-1 followed by 2FTs for the T, and then the ball at the division line.

If that is what you were after, then as I said before, you have the correct understanding.