The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Didn't see the game or situation. But reading all this, maybe put this into a diffrent but simular situation. Say the player did this same thing but wearing a plastic facemask. What would be the diffrence?

"Proper equiped" is asked to the coaches at pre-game, this is the ticket here. PROPERLY EQUIPED is NOT be done, stop play after, sub in new player (like a untucked shirt), get the game going....... Flagrent if the player was using the shoe (facemask) to hurt someone, which would result in ejection.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

I too saw this play in the Cinci/Xavier game. Now you have to understand that I have had a great deal of experience as a soccer referee, so I am familiar with players losing shoes. In soccer if a player throws a shoe at the ball it is considered unsporting conduct and a caution is given. If a field player holds any object in his hand and strikes the ball it is considered a handball and also unsporting conduct. If the goalkeeper holds any object in his hand (a shoe, shinguard, stick, etc.) and strikes the ball while within his penalty area it is NOT considered a handball offense but it is still unsporting.

My immediate reaction to the basketball play was that if his shoe in his hand had contacted the ball, I would have charged a technical foul for unsporting conduct.

After reading this thread, I still would make that ruling.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
My immediate reaction to the basketball play was that if his shoe in his hand had contacted the ball, I would have charged a technical foul for unsporting conduct.

After reading this thread, I still would make that ruling.
Based on what ncaa rule?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

I was translating the play to a HS game and then ruling based on the "commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to,..." language.

I'll have to check if the NCAA has something similar.

Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I was translating the play to a HS game and then ruling based on the "commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to,..." language.

I'll have to check if the NCAA has something similar.

IMO, it's too much of a stretch to include the action of playing with a shoe on the hand (in the scenario described) to call it unsporting.

If you think that the player did it on purpose to gain an advantage, or repeated the act after being told not to, or threw the shoe at the ball, etc, you might have a case for an unsporting T.