View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is an interesting dicussion

So Mick, you're looking at it kind of like swinging elbows or striking with a fist (as far as rules that this is kind of like), that the act is potentially dangerous, even if contact isn't made (as in swinging elbows)?

Rainmaker, I had missed that part of the rule. Thanks. That kind of deflates any objections about a shoe being legal equipment. However, the rules still specify no penalty or remedy for not wearing a shoe properly, though the jersey rule is a useful analogue, I think.

Originally I had thought I might pass on contact with the shoe if it didn't extend the player's reach. I don't buy Chuck's "volume" justification, but I think he's probably right nonetheless. Any contact with the shoe is going to raise all kinds of red flags with a lot of people: players, coaches, fans, partners. It just isn't how basketball is supposed to be played. So we probably have to stop play if any "interesting" contact with that shoe occurs.

But I'm not sure I agree with POI. Depends on the situation, I guess. If he uses it on defense, and the offense has possession, it makes sense to give it back to the offense, so POI works there. If he blocks a shot with it, I don't feel right going to the arrow. It feels like he's done something wrong and the ball ought to go back to the shooting team. OTOH, there is rules support for POI (in general, not in this specific case) and none for a violation. But I still think it ought to go back to the shooter. As I was once told, "If you don't know what to do, do what's fair." If you throw goaltending or BI into this situation, I think the shoe is ignored and the violation called.

Would anybody think some kind of "preventive officiating" approach to prevent this would be advisable? Maybe as the kid with the shoe runs by ask him to give it to you? Maybe just holler "shoe," and hold your hands out, asking him to toss it to you?