The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of guys that responded made my point. People talking "I thought I was good after four or five years". In my post I do say I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. And I do appreciate good mechanics, I try to have good mechanics my self. What I am talking about is older guys "big leaguing" us. My first year I had a referee chew me out. Not help chew because I called out of bounds on a ball that hit the supports and I was the Lead. The problem was that the ball hit...bounced till it was dead and all the players stopped. Now I know guys miss calls, and I know that wasn't my call but sometimes you have to help your partner out. No reason to chew on me. We have a problem here of younger officials getting out, and we also have a problem of older officials not wanting to take them under their wing and help. I think some of you guys that responded negatively to this post have somewhat of a guilty feeling in the pit of your stomach because you know you've done what I and a few others are talking about.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Oklahoma, I don't know what your problem is, b/c I don't really understand what you mean by "mechanics clinic". But here's my advice. Nod your head, say "Ok, thanks" and then decide if the vet's "advice" is worth using. If it is, great. If not, forget that he said anything. Why come here and complain about it?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by OklahomaRef

I think some of you guys that responded negatively to this post have somewhat of a guilty feeling in the pit of your stomach because you know you've done what I and a few others are talking about.
Ahhh, the "If he's disagreeing with me then he's gotta be guilty" argument. I never get tired of that one.

There's really no reason to chew anybody out during these sessions and I have seen my share so I agree it happens. Discounting the more intense types, tell me again why you would feel bad about getting input on your game? I cannot remember the last time I did not ask at least once during a halftime and at the end of a game if there is anything my partners see that they are uncomfortable with. And if there's another official in the room I'll ask him too. And if I'm not happy about a call I made I'll ask a partner during a timeout what he thought about it.

Geeze, how else do you improve without feedback??
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

DOH!

OKRef, there is not one ref in here that isn't interested in helping others, and themselves, become better refs. Egos need to be checked at the door in here. Yeah, some of the guys/gals in here are crusty. So what. If you feel your game is beyond reproach, then you don't need the forum. If you are in here to promote yourself, you've come to the wrong place. If you've come to learn and share, welcome.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

In golf, it is against the rules to give advice. Not a bad rule to adopt!
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
In golf, it is against the rules to give advice. Not a bad rule to adopt!
Are you serious? You really don't think that anyone should ever give advice to newer officials to try and help them or teach them?

C'mon, Jim. That's just ridiculous.

You forgot a smilie, didn't ya?