The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have noticed that a lot of older referees feel they must put on a clinic to younger referees. I am a 4th year guy, and am starting to get a good varsity schedule. I have had help along the way, but I have also had older officials try to give me a clinic. I don't understand this tactic. Do older guys feel threatened? I have younger guys than me talk to me a lot about officiating, and I try to listen and help, not preach. Also, some officials think that they are too good for coaches to get on to them. I hate calling with guys that consider themselves great, and put on mechanics clinics during the game. I am all for great mechanics, believe me they are important, but some referees need to realize absolutely no person came to see them, and most people don't have the first clue about mechanics. These are just some observations I needed to get off my chest.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thanks for helping out all us vets.

Quote:
A referee never gets in trouble for blowing the whistle.
Might wanna change that tagline. "Never" is a dangerous word.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, you got it off you chest. Continue to control what you can and leave everything else alone.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OklahomaRef
I have noticed that a lot of older referees feel they must put on a clinic to younger referees. I am a 4th year guy, and am starting to get a good varsity schedule. I have had help along the way, but I have also had older officials try to give me a clinic. I don't understand this tactic. Do older guys feel threatened? I have younger guys than me talk to me a lot about officiating, and I try to listen and help, not preach. Also, some officials think that they are too good for coaches to get on to them. I hate calling with guys that consider themselves great, and put on mechanics clinics during the game. I am all for great mechanics, believe me they are important, but some referees need to realize absolutely no person came to see them, and most people don't have the first clue about mechanics. These are just some observations I needed to get off my chest.
Oklahoma,

How are they putting on a clinic during the game? By using good mechanics? Why do you feel that they think that people are there to see them? By showboating? Do you think that it is okay for "coaches to get on to you"?

Mulk
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like a case of whistle envy to me.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Geez

OKRef, dont tick 'em off....dont tick 'em off...
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 07:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

The answer to your question is "YES."

Peace
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WTF?

Z
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

i'm in my 13th season, and go out of my way to help every official i can. the one motto i tell them to officiate by is " you're only as good as your next whistle" i don't like working with partners that think they know it all. none of us ever will.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4th year? Sounds a little bit like someone thinks they're better than they are and I'm not talking about the old guys.

I thought I was pretty good after four years. Now I know better.

Simply listen and say thank you for thier willingness to give back to the next generation.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

I sincerely hope I put on a "mechanics clinic" every game I work. I make my best effort to use proper and only proper NFHS mechanics every game I work and would love to have someone tell me I put on a "mechanics clinic" after a game I called. Now if you are talking non-Fed, make up your own, wahtever you want to call it mechanics, ie showboating, then you may have a legit beef. What exactly do you mean by a "mechanics clinic"?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

OKRef

run away...don't answer!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:43am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
OklahomaRef,
I fumble-thumbed around for four or five years because there was no help that was volunteered, and because I didn't know which questions to ask.
I would have loved to have had your problem.
mick

Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:45am
MABO Member

I tend to agree somewhat with what you are saying Oklahoma. I appreciate when an experienced partner provides a "couple" of constructive comments to help me out. I don't want nor need to be "coached" at every stoppage in play. After all isn't that what we have this forum for? I have been an Official for 25 years, I took a bit of time off to work in the North country of Ccanada, and have been back for 4 years now. SOme of the older guys don't know me so feel they have to "clinic me as well. We all have something to learn and share is my thought. I also don't want my partner to get pissed off at me because I won't listen to what they are saying. So one has to smile, accept the commentary and do the best you can every time on the floor.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in my first year of officiating. Every game I work, I tell my partner that this is my first year. Any feedback (positive or negative) you can give me, I'd really appreciate it.

Now, for the most part, feedback has been great. During timeouts, or at the half, we'll discuss what I need to work on. This is done where and when no one can hear. However, there are a few partners that will advertise to the entire gym that I'm new. That, I do not appreciate! It gives the fans ammunition and makes me feel uncomfortable every time I make a call. (ie: did I make the right call?)

So, for you seasoned officials:

THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING FEEDBACK! PLEASE CONTINUE TO HELP US. One day we too will be in a position to help the newer guys/gals. But, try not to advertise that we're new. Our mechanics speak for itself.

THANKS....

DAC