The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I am hoping that you all can help answer some questions for me. I have a daughter who plays 4th grade basketball while in a tournament last night something went horribly wrong. I hope I dont offend anyone but the ref. was bad. He called multiple fouls on our team and let the other get away with blatantly obvious fouls. Also the "young" man controlling the clock and poss. was completely off. He didnt stop the clock when he was suppose to, at one point he gave the other team points for a missed basket. They sat one of our girls for fouling out, but the one saving grace we had is that this game was recorded and it is so obvious the favortism that it is sickening. Our girls lost 4 to 6. Of those 6 points the other team was handed 4 of them on 7 different times on the free throw line. My question is how is it that with so many people complaining, (it was bad enough that the other team had a problem with the calls being made)that nothing was done to justify the situation? Is there not someone we can send the video to so they can review the situation and possibly do something to rectify it? In honestly I think they should be allowed to play again. With officals who are fair to both teams.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by momstwo
I am hoping that you all can help answer some questions for me. I have a daughter who plays 4th grade basketball while in a tournament last night something went horribly wrong. I hope I dont offend anyone but the ref. was bad. He called multiple fouls on our team and let the other get away with blatantly obvious fouls. Also the "young" man controlling the clock and poss. was completely off. He didnt stop the clock when he was suppose to, at one point he gave the other team points for a missed basket. They sat one of our girls for fouling out, but the one saving grace we had is that this game was recorded and it is so obvious the favortism that it is sickening. Our girls lost 4 to 6. Of those 6 points the other team was handed 4 of them on 7 different times on the free throw line. My question is how is it that with so many people complaining, (it was bad enough that the other team had a problem with the calls being made)that nothing was done to justify the situation? Is there not someone we can send the video to so they can review the situation and possibly do something to rectify it? In honestly I think they should be allowed to play again. With officals who are fair to both teams.
Wow...a 4th grade girl's game? Could you please be more specific? You must remember you have an interest on who wins, the "bad" ref doesn't.

I'm not sure what kind of refs you expect for a 4th grade girl's game. I know I don't get very excited about calls in my son's 5th grade games as it usually a parent or student working for peanuts if they are getting paid at all.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

IT IS 4TH GRADE BASKETBALL. You are lucky to get anyone willing to work the game whether those are officials or those are people willing to work the clock. Most of the parents spend all their time complaining than getting involved and helping out and volunteering to do these jobs. You are also likely to have officials that are just as new to the game of basketball from an officiating point of view as your kids are when they are trying to learn to play. I played when I was that age and I could not tell you a thing about any game or who officiated those games. Stop complaining about the officiating and the clock operator and let your kids have fun. You will set a better example if you just let them know they are having fun than treating these games as a chance to get a D1 scholarship. My God the basketball is bigger than most kids. I am surprise they score at all half the time.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Momstwo I hope I don't offend you, but seriously can u really blame a this game on the officials. Officials may have called a bad game but I doubt they gave the game to the other team. Also this is 4th grade basketball, come on is it really that important. This is where new officials learn. I think it would be uncalled for for you to even try to protest a 4th grade girls game. I hope the kids had fun. I hope I don't offend you but it sounds like that game was for fun, and it is parents like you who make the game no fun for everyone involved, players, coaches, fans, and officials. O by the way how much about the rules do you know. i have been an official for 2 years, am getting some decently respective games, work hard to learn and as you can see from my posts I still have lots to learn.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Hey momstwo, what is your daughter, like 8 or 9?

Guess what? 10 years from now you'll have forgotten this entire thing. 10 minutes from now your daughter will.

Good luck.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:24pm
Administrator

Quote:

Mom:

I am a parent of two male athletes and I have a number of things to say to you. The first two things are going to sound harsh, but ...

The first is: Get a life!

The second thing is the officials did not cause your daughter's team to lose. You have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions or Power Ball Lottery before the game officials could have caused your daughter's team to lose.

The officials at your daughter's level of play are almost always beginning officials who are getting their first oncourt experience. I am sure that they made some mistakes but not nearly as many mistakes as the two teams combined made or even just your daughter's team.

Children at this age should be playing sports for the simple reason that playing is fun and that winning should not even be a thing to be thought of.

There many members of this forum that will tell you that I am letting you off easily tonight because I really do not feel like going into full attack dog mode. But I hope that I have given you some food for thought.

MTD, Sr.

As any number of other members of this forum will tell you
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
You have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions or Power Ball Lottery before the game officials could have caused your daughter's team to lose.
Be careful here Mark, SOMEONE's gotta win it.
Quote:

There many members of this forum that will tell you that I am letting you off easily tonight because I really do not feel like going into full attack dog mode.
c'mon...we all know you're just a great big pussy cat!

Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

How can everyone forget.....if you are that upset about the officiating, contact your state, pass your tests, and go out and work the games yourself. Also, Mom, this is a 4th grade game. It is very likely that the official was not a real official (it does take a little more than putting on a shirt and grabbing a whistle) and it sounds as if the scorers table was certainly ran by a student they could get to do it. These games are for your children to learn to play. As I always say in posts like this....go to the game, cheer on your kid, pat them on the back and tell them nice game, and finally and most importantly take them out for ice cream.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

WOW...talk about attack. My goodness, I am sorry I asked. I am not the person in the stands yelling and screaming, Im the one in the stands encouraging not only my child but the whole team. I am also one of the first ones to tell them what a great job they have done WIN OR LOSE!!!! So please dont catagorize me with those "insane parents"! I ALWAYS thank the officals!!! But this isnt about me, although you seem to have turned it into that. Your absolutely right it is for fun!!! As for my comment about the ref being a "bad ref" I hold to that, we have had to many great refs to not be able to tell the difference. No need to slam me for that comment, because Im referring to refs that officated in games we lost too.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WOW...talk about attack.
Aint life funny?

You ask a question and get an answer you don't expect!

Maybe pass this lesson on to your daughter.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Uh....it does say at the top of each of these webpages that this is an official's forum. What did you expect? Now if you had a particular rules question, you might have gotten some feedback as to whether the officials handled the situation correctly. If you're looking for a place to vent about officials, this probably isn't the place. We never said you were a problem fan, but unless you have particulars, you'll find that officials are a pretty tight knit community and we back each other up.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Momstwo: Okay I got an idea how about we put all patched and great officials at those games, then not train any new refs so by the time you kids get to highschool all the good refs have been forced to retire. Then don't come crying to me when ur kids loose a game that could actually matter because the refs are bad. I am all for training new refs at these games that mean NOTHING in fact I train those guys myself. I HOPE I DIDNT OFFEND YOU. If you don't like how about you go out and try to ref, and make sure the recorder is rolling so you can compare, I bet your worse.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Why not get into refereeing yourself? I think it might be a truly enlightening experience for you. It may change your views/attitude about fairness, good sportsmanship, etc. There are several women officials on this website.

__________________________________________________ ________
We don't see things as THEY are; we see them as WE ARE."
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I respect what some of you have to say and the others that felt the need to attack, well I'll file that in a special place. I believe one of the first things I said was that it wasnt my intention to offend anyone. Sounds like some of you use this board as a way to offend. No it wasnt the advice I asked for because alot of you simply assumed you knew what kind of "parent" I am. Way off base guys!!! Also it is beneath me to argue with you MTD. I dont have time nor the patient to argue with hateful people. To those of you that helped THANK YOU!!!
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hey momstwo, was it really neccesary to name names. Your right tho you are not smart enough to argue with MTD. MTD knows way more about basketball then you do about Actually the more you say the more I think you are proving you are really that type of parent we think you are. I'll tell you what why not teach your kids to go up to the refs and tell them they suck during the game, and watch your kid get tossed from the game. When that happens please send me the tape of that. COME ON LADY GET REAL.