Thread: PEEWEE gone bad
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by momstwo
I am hoping that you all can help answer some questions for me. I have a daughter who plays 4th grade basketball while in a tournament last night something went horribly wrong. I hope I dont offend anyone but the ref. was bad. He called multiple fouls on our team and let the other get away with blatantly obvious fouls. Also the "young" man controlling the clock and poss. was completely off. He didnt stop the clock when he was suppose to, at one point he gave the other team points for a missed basket. They sat one of our girls for fouling out, but the one saving grace we had is that this game was recorded and it is so obvious the favortism that it is sickening. Our girls lost 4 to 6. Of those 6 points the other team was handed 4 of them on 7 different times on the free throw line. My question is how is it that with so many people complaining, (it was bad enough that the other team had a problem with the calls being made)that nothing was done to justify the situation? Is there not someone we can send the video to so they can review the situation and possibly do something to rectify it? In honestly I think they should be allowed to play again. With officals who are fair to both teams.

Mom:

I am a parent of two male athletes and I have a number of things to say to you. The first two things are going to sound harsh, but ...

The first is: Get a life!

The second thing is the officials did not cause your daughter's team to lose. You have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions or Power Ball Lottery before the game officials could have caused your daughter's team to lose.

The officials at your daughter's level of play are almost always beginning officials who are getting their first oncourt experience. I am sure that they made some mistakes but not nearly as many mistakes as the two teams combined made or even just your daughter's team.

Children at this age should be playing sports for the simple reason that playing is fun and that winning should not even be a thing to be thought of.

There many members of this forum that will tell you that I am letting you off easily tonight because I really do not feel like going into full attack dog mode. But I hope that I have given you some food for thought.

MTD, Sr.

As any number of other members of this forum will tell you
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio