The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:03am
Never Stop Learning

Could someone please explain rule 4-3-2 in the NFHS rules book to me. Rule 4 Section 3 is titled SETTING DIRECTION OF INITIAL ARROW. ART 2 in section 3 states "The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect." How can you have the bonus free throw in effect and still not have the initial arrow set. All I can think of is if there are a lot of Techs given before the toss, but these are not common fouls. Must be a horrible start to a game.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Think OVERTIME!!!!!!!!!!

This rule may come into play at the start of the extra periods, which do start with another jump ball.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:15am
Never Stop Learning

Got ya. I had a fellow official ask me how that could happen and totally spaced out OT. Thanks Nevada now I have an answer for him.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Could someone please explain rule 4-3-2 in the NFHS rules book to me. Rule 4 Section 3 is titled SETTING DIRECTION OF INITIAL ARROW. ART 2 in section 3 states "The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect." How can you have the bonus free throw in effect and still not have the initial arrow set. All I can think of is if there are a lot of Techs given before the toss, but these are not common fouls. Must be a horrible start to a game.
While Ts are not common fouls, you could (theoretically) have 6 (or more) Ts before the game, and then a common foul duirng the jump ball (or immediately after) before the arrow was set.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
While Ts are not common fouls, you could (theoretically) have 6 (or more) Ts before the game, and then a common foul duirng the jump ball (or immediately after) before the arrow was set.
But only in a college game. . .

5 illegal jerseys, and a T on the coach when you explain that you're starting with 10 FT's
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
But only in a college game. . .

5 illegal jerseys, and a T on the coach when you explain that you're starting with 10 FT's
It could also happen in a HS game if the last of the T's was a simultaneous or double T. You could also have several double fouls during the jump before either team gains possession.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
It could also happen in a HS game if the last of the T's was a simultaneous or double T.
But only if all the fouls were simultaneous or double. If you had a single T at any point in that sequence, the POI for the subsequent double foul would be the shooting of the single T and then possession.

Quote:
You could also have several double fouls during the jump before either team gains possession.
This is true, I guess. I never would've thought of it, but I suppose it is possible theoretically.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
It could also happen in a HS game if the last of the T's was a simultaneous or double T.
But only if all the fouls were simultaneous or double. If you had a single T at any point in that sequence, the POI for the subsequent double foul would be the shooting of the single T and then possession.

Quote:
You could also have several double fouls during the jump before either team gains possession.
This is true, I guess. I never would've thought of it, but I suppose it is possible theoretically.
And, realistically, if this were to happen in a real game, "Which direction to point the arrow" would be far down the list of things to worry about.

(Used with permission.)