The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule 4-3-2 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24275-rule-4-3-2-a.html)

Ed Maeder Tue Jan 17, 2006 03:03am

Could someone please explain rule 4-3-2 in the NFHS rules book to me. Rule 4 Section 3 is titled SETTING DIRECTION OF INITIAL ARROW. ART 2 in section 3 states "The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect." How can you have the bonus free throw in effect and still not have the initial arrow set. All I can think of is if there are a lot of Techs given before the toss, but these are not common fouls. Must be a horrible start to a game.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 17, 2006 03:05am

Think OVERTIME!!!!!!!!!!

This rule may come into play at the start of the extra periods, which do start with another jump ball.

Ed Maeder Tue Jan 17, 2006 03:15am

Got ya. I had a fellow official ask me how that could happen and totally spaced out OT. Thanks Nevada now I have an answer for him.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:23am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Could someone please explain rule 4-3-2 in the NFHS rules book to me. Rule 4 Section 3 is titled SETTING DIRECTION OF INITIAL ARROW. ART 2 in section 3 states "The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect." How can you have the bonus free throw in effect and still not have the initial arrow set. All I can think of is if there are a lot of Techs given before the toss, but these are not common fouls. Must be a horrible start to a game.
While Ts are not common fouls, you could (theoretically) have 6 (or more) Ts before the game, and then a common foul duirng the jump ball (or immediately after) before the arrow was set.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
While Ts are not common fouls, you could (theoretically) have 6 (or more) Ts before the game, and then a common foul duirng the jump ball (or immediately after) before the arrow was set.
But only in a college game. . .

5 illegal jerseys, and a T on the coach when you explain that you're starting with 10 FT's :)

Camron Rust Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
But only in a college game. . .

5 illegal jerseys, and a T on the coach when you explain that you're starting with 10 FT's :)

It could also happen in a HS game if the last of the T's was a simultaneous or double T. You could also have several double fouls during the jump before either team gains possession.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
It could also happen in a HS game if the last of the T's was a simultaneous or double T.
But only if all the fouls were simultaneous or double. If you had a single T at any point in that sequence, the POI for the subsequent double foul would be the shooting of the single T and then possession.

Quote:

You could also have several double fouls during the jump before either team gains possession.
This is true, I guess. I never would've thought of it, but I suppose it is possible theoretically.

M&M Guy Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
It could also happen in a HS game if the last of the T's was a simultaneous or double T.
But only if all the fouls were simultaneous or double. If you had a single T at any point in that sequence, the POI for the subsequent double foul would be the shooting of the single T and then possession.

Quote:

You could also have several double fouls during the jump before either team gains possession.
This is true, I guess. I never would've thought of it, but I suppose it is possible theoretically.

And, realistically, if this were to happen in a real game, "Which direction to point the arrow" would be far down the list of things to worry about.