The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I was stretching before a game last year where I pulled my foot behind me and it ended up between a cheerleader's legs. Needless to say she was pretty embarrassed . I learned to look behind me before stretching on the court.

I have also heard from different officials that the cheerleaders must not be underneath the basket. It sounds like they are not allowed anywhere on the endline (if they are standing).
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
I learned to look behind me before stretching on the court.
I try to do my stretching in the locker room...in fact, I believe the NFHS Officials Manual suggests not to do stretching on the court.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Strectching on the court. Hmmmm...I don't think so.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I try to stretch before I'm on the court but sometimes I'll work out some kinks.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

The Spirit manual says they cant be along the end line between the freethrow lane extended. That is the only restriction in their manual.

And yeah, warm up in the locker room. I hate seeing officials stretching on the court. Looks bad. But some jurisdictions seem to care more than others. I've seen varsity officials do it a bit here where in my old jurisdiction there is no way taht would ever have been tolerated.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

All you know on Earth and all you need to know

Quote:
Originally posted by cdaref
Thanks everyone.

I saw 2-3, but that is pretty generic. I was hoping no to have to hang my hat on that. However, I imagine no one would get pissed if my ruling was that the cheerleaders were interfering with my ability to call the game, observe violations and fouls, etc.

I was just hoping for a clearer statement somewhere.

I will check local association rules, too. Good suggestion.

Its funny. I've never really had this before. This is my first year with a new association (I moved). The cheerleaders here really like to be on the baseline. And I mean close to the baseline.

[Edited by cdaref on Jan 12th, 2006 at 05:45 PM]
All you know on Earth and all you need to know, I would suggest, is that the idea is to get a fair game. If the cheerleaders are interfering with that - say by getting in your way - you have the authority (you ARE a member of the Rule 2.3 Club, aren't you?) to have the site manager take care of the site.

That being said, cajoling cheerleaders can work, too.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 05:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
"You can always tell a cheerleader, but you can't tell them much."
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I have never had a problem with cheerleaders not responding to my request (not since high school anyway!), but that was a different request then ! Anyway, if you compliment them first, they will do anything for you. Example: "You girls are doing a good job, but I hope I don't accidentally run over one of you. You might want to take a couple steps back....thanks a lot....let's see a pyramid or some flips later....".... main thing is: just be friendly, but let them know who the boss is on the court in a nice non-threatening way.... they will respond favorably 99.9% of the time.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Cheerleaders last night were no problem. But I heard a cheer that made me laugh.

Girls Varsity.

I call a travel on a girl right in front of the opposing cheerleaders. Just as I'm about to bounce the ball to the thrower-in I hear this cheer from the sideline: "You travel, you travel, you walkkkkk too much!" I couldn't help but laugh.

In the 2nd half I called another travel. As I'm coming back as the new lead the cheerleaders are doing the same cheer, except this time while singing the "you travel" verse they are doing the traveling mechanic, and then for the "you walkkkk too much!" verse they march in step up the sideline.

But I guess karma came back to bite them in the butt, b/c the cheerleaders' team lost by 3 points and committed two travelling violations in the last minute of the game.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 09:29am.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

There are a couple of smaller gyms where there is no room for the cheerleaders except along the baseline. I generally try to warn them that I'm alot bigger than they are (they're cheerleaders, I need to explain it ) and I won't be the one hurt if I run into them. One game, during a fastbreak, I was running down the sideline looking over my shoulder and steamrolled one girl. Thank the Lord she wasn't seriously hurt. They stayed out of my way after that.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:23am
MABO Member

NCAA rules, court diagram shows a minimum 3 ft of unobstructed space along the sidelines (preferred 10 ft) and 6 ft along the end lines.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
There are a couple of smaller gyms where there is no room for the cheerleaders except along the baseline. I generally try to warn them that I'm alot bigger than they are (they're cheerleaders, I need to explain it ) and I won't be the one hurt if I run into them. One game, during a fastbreak, I was running down the sideline looking over my shoulder and steamrolled one girl. Thank the Lord she wasn't seriously hurt. They stayed out of my way after that.
This is the same line I use when I foresee a potential problem. I'm 6' and 200+, so when I tell them it won't be me getting hurt, they tend to believe me.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I worked a gym just a couple nights ago that had no room on the sidelines for the cheerleaders and on the end lines there was 3 to 4 feet from baseline to wall.

I told the girls look you can do your thing but if you see me come running, im getting a little older I still run well but I dont stop very well so be heads up!

So, on occasion through out the game when a fast break would develop as I am running down to the base line I can her the cheerleaders, " Look out here he comes" I had to chuckle every time.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I have a local HS that has cheerleaders that love to really crowd the baseline on one side of the court. It makes it real hard to work the baseline on the side they are on. Usually I motion them to move back a bit and they comply. But that led me to wonder...

What authority, if any, do we have to move cheerleaders?

I cant find a rule that allows us to do it and I even pulled up the Spirit Rules to see if they have a rule about it and they dont seem to.

I know one solution is to just ask the AD to do it. But at the end of a tight game, I dont want to have to get the AD and stop play to move them. I want to know if there is a rules basis to be able to move them if I want to.
I usually just back out when I am on the baseline and they will move. I actually ran into one last month and both of us hit the pads on the wall. After that, no problem with them.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I just tell them to move back for me because I step on one cheerleader every year, and I haven't so far, so let's not have it happen tonight.