The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I asked my assigner for D-3,she also assigns for a D-1 conference, about this. She said that she does not mind her officials wearing wedding bands. She is very strict on a lot of other things regarding appearance, such as no finger nail polish to name one.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I wear mine. I am not sure which looks more noticeable, the ring on or the brilliant white shade my skin is underneath???
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
We've had this conversation before. I take my wedding band off. If the kids can't wear anything, I don't wear anything either. Granted my wedding band is much less of a danger to others than somebody's earrings or necklace; but it just seems fairer to do what I'm asking them to do.
Come on Chuck, it's fair to wear it. If the high school kids are married, they can wear theirs too for all I care.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
We've had this conversation before. I take my wedding band off. If the kids can't wear anything, I don't wear anything either. Granted my wedding band is much less of a danger to others than somebody's earrings or necklace; but it just seems fairer to do what I'm asking them to do.
Come on Chuck, it's fair to wear it. If the high school kids are married, they can wear theirs too for all I care.
Would you let adult rec league players wear wedding rings?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:36pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
I wear my wedding band when I wear a tie.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Would you let adult rec league players wear wedding rings?
That's a trick question. I never in a million years would ref an adult rec league game!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:51pm
In Memoriam

Re: Wore mine until

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
I had a close situation with a 5 second count and had to stop the count because I felt it slip below my knuckle. Got chewed on by the coach for not coming with the 5 second count but I didn't want some lady in the stands to think that I was trying to propose to her!!!!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I always wear my wedding ring. It is the only jewelry I have ever been told was OK to wear. I wear it when I am working my college games.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 05:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Hey, just shows your priorities:

- Softball
- Golf
- Mrs. M&M
- Officiating basketball.

Pretty screwed up that basketball should come after softball, if you ask me.
I know, that's why I'm in therapy. It's the same therapist who's treating Chuck, btw. You should see the video the therapist has about two guys in a shower...

Pretty screwed up is right. Both golf and basketball should be tied for first in his list.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Mine has not been off in 38 years of marriage and I don't forsee it ever coming off.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 08:19am
MABO Member

I leave my wedding band on when I am officiating and remove it to play. I don't see the same hazards to wear it when officiating, it should not be getting caught on anything. For that matter, I also wear a religious cross around my neck when I officiate. It is kept tight to my neck so it doesn't flop around or fall outside the uniform.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Metrodom
I wear my wedding ring when I officiate. Haven't taken my ring off since I have been married (9 years). I know a couple of officials that have taken theirs off before a game and lost it before they got home.

Read the NFHS Officials Manual and the NCAA CCA Manuals:

NFHS: A wedding ring is the only piece of jewelery that can be worn.

NCAA: No jewelery can be worn.

Until the late 90's the NCAA did allow wedding rings, but not now.

Having given what the manuals say, I don't know of an evaluator who would care one iota if an official was wearing a wedding ring.

MTD, Sr.

A guy in my association told me once that an evaluator at the state tournament told him to take his off.

And as far as the NCAA, I saw Ed Hightower wearing his during a game just last week. I guess it doesn't go for all NCAA officials...
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:39pm
Huck Finn

For those who wear their rings: What is your reasoning for not taking it off? What would you do if an assigner told you to take it off? Do you take it off when you put on lotion (if you put on lotion)? What is your regular occupation?

I understand some of the reasoning, but I have an occupation where I can't always wear it (inside electronic equipment or computers). I also couldn't wear it when I played. Finally I guess I don't have the type of fingers that a ring will absolutely stay on, at least I don't want to get one that snug.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
For those who wear their rings: What is your reasoning for not taking it off? What would you do if an assigner told you to take it off? Do you take it off when you put on lotion (if you put on lotion)? What is your regular occupation?

I understand some of the reasoning, but I have an occupation where I can't always wear it (inside electronic equipment or computers). I also couldn't wear it when I played. Finally I guess I don't have the type of fingers that a ring will absolutely stay on, at least I don't want to get one that snug.
Tom, I don't take mine off for a game because I have lost 1 already. So it stays put.

It does go in my pocket when I wash up or shower after the game. Don't use lotion.

Never been told to take it off.

There was a time when I regularly had my hands in the business end of large servers & worked on their components. Watch, badge & ring went into 1 pocket, 1 hand went into the other. Never got zapped but a doctor did tell me I have some hearing loss due to fan noise.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

The first year I officiated I had my wedding band stolen from a locker during a game.

I don't take it off for many reasons including: (1) So it is not stolen. (2) My wife is more important than any assigner. (3) If some fan considers shooting me, maybe he/she will think about my wife and family before pulling the trigger.