The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't wear my wedding band when I ref. Just personal preference. I couldn't care less if my partners wear their wedding band or not. It falls under the same importance as belted or unbelted slacks and patent leather or non-patent leather shoes.

Z
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
I don't take it off for many reasons including: (1) So it is not stolen.

Good reason.

Quote:
(2) My wife is more important than any assigner.
True, but probably irrelevant. The ring is not the same thing as your wife. If you had to take it off for safety reasons on the job, I think you probably would have to do that, right?

Quote:
(3) If some fan considers shooting me, maybe he/she will think about my wife and family before pulling the trigger.
Not a chance.

JMO
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

gun-

Good questions.

Q: What is your reasoning for not taking it off?

A: Dont want to lose it and dont see any safety need for its removal.

Q: What would you do if an assigner told you to take it off?

A: I would take it off before I traveled to the game and find a safe place to put it to minimize risk of loss (at work or find a place in my car), but if instructed to not wear it, then I wouldnt wear it. Hopefully I could find a way to leave it at home that day.

For example, I do take it off before I go to play hoops and I leave it at home. I see a safety issue with wearing it when I play. I dont want it caught in the net (which as I get older I guess is a decreasing concern ), or on the jersey of another player.

Q: Do you take it off when you put on lotion (if you put on lotion)?

A: I dont take it off even to shower and I dont use lotion that requires its removal on a regular basis.

Q: What is your regular occupation?

A: Not one that requires me to take my ring off. I do understand there are some jobs that lead a person to take his ring of more frequently for safety issues.

I guess I am just used to leaving my ring on since I dont take it off as a regular matter. I guess if I was used to taking it off for work and things I would probably also take it off to ref as a matter of course.

Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:40pm
Huck Finn

For those of you that don't take it off so you won't lose it, is there a reason for not leaving it at home?
Between work and an active lifestyle, my wife understands. The bad part is, she got me a second ring because she knew I wasn't going to wear the original someplace where I might lose it. I guess she knows how I am; I don't want to lose the second one either!
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

There was a time when I regularly had my hands in the business end of large servers & worked on their components. Watch, badge & ring went into 1 pocket, 1 hand went into the other. Never got zapped but a doctor did tell me I have some hearing loss due to fan noise.
You didn't turn the server off? There have been many times when I've been around servers and they have accidentally rebooted. It is better to "accidentally" reboot when I'm around than to crash when I'm at home sleeping!
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

What about a watch? For rec and junior high games, the scorer sometimes doesn't know (or just doesn't) reset the clock for timeouts or halftimes, so I'll use my watch to measure the time-outs and halftimes (and also make sure we're remotely on schedule when there are multiple games back to back.)
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 02:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
What about a watch? For rec and junior high games, the scorer sometimes doesn't know (or just doesn't) reset the clock for timeouts or halftimes, so I'll use my watch to measure the time-outs and halftimes (and also make sure we're remotely on schedule when there are multiple games back to back.)
I would not be caught dead wearing a watch.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:

There was a time when I regularly had my hands in the business end of large servers & worked on their components. Watch, badge & ring went into 1 pocket, 1 hand went into the other. Never got zapped but a doctor did tell me I have some hearing loss due to fan noise.
You didn't turn the server off? There have been many times when I've been around servers and they have accidentally rebooted.
Nah, at that time when I saw them they weren't even booting yet.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You distributed server guys have mastered the art of euphemisms. For years in the mainframe world, we always called it an "outage" or a "crash." Followed by all kinds of post-mortem meetings and root cause analysis.

Then distributed servers came along and we realized we had it all wrong. It's just a "reboot." Just push a button and off we go. So a few people do their work during the reboot.. no big deal. They needed an excuse to read the newspaper anyway.

Z
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

You distributed server guys have mastered the art of euphemisms. For years in the mainframe world, we always called it an "outage" or a "crash." Followed by all kinds of post-mortem meetings and root cause analysis.

Then distributed servers came along and we realized we had it all wrong. It's just a "reboot." Just push a button and off we go. So a few people do their work during the reboot.. no big deal. They needed an excuse to read the newspaper anyway.

Z
Read the newspaper...is that like browsing the internet?

Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:13pm
M.A.S.H.

I don't wear mine...then again, I'm not married.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I don't take it off for many reasons including: (1) So it is not stolen.

Good reason.

Quote:
(2) My wife is more important than any assigner.
True, but probably irrelevant. The ring is not the same thing as your wife. If you had to take it off for safety reasons on the job, I think you probably would have to do that, right?

Quote:
(3) If some fan considers shooting me, maybe he/she will think about my wife and family before pulling the trigger.
Not a chance.

JMO
There's nothing more unsafe than coming home without my ring!
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
There's nothing more unsafe than coming home without my ring!
Seems like not coming home would raise that ante.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

I wear mine but if an assignor told me to take it off, I'd comply. After +18 years, my wife is plenty confident in my motives.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:59am
Huck Finn

After getting home late from a game this came to mind. What if I left home and came home with my ring on but got home later than I should and my cell phone was off versus leaving my ring at home and having my cell phone on?

The moral of this story is a few times during the season I have some trips during the week that are murder. Vivarin does work and waiting for it to poop out can make the mind wander!