The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You give a coach a T and... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24190-you-give-coach-t.html)

refnrev Thu Jan 12, 2006 03:35pm

I've never had a coach whom I T'd up who didn't know exactly what they did and why they got it. I've never needed to explain it. If I give one to a player, that's different. I explain what they did and why it was a T. Never had a problem with it because all were clearly deserved. One thing though, is not to make a big dramatic production of it. Don't hold the T for a long time, act like you're breaking your fingers you hit it so hard, etc. Give it dispassionately, report it, and get on with the game.

Rich Thu Jan 12, 2006 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refnrev
I've never had a coach whom I T'd up who didn't know exactly what they did and why they got it. I've never needed to explain it. If I give one to a player, that's different. I explain what they did and why it was a T. Never had a problem with it because all were clearly deserved. One thing though, is not to make a big dramatic production of it. Don't hold the T for a long time, act like you're breaking your fingers you hit it so hard, etc. Give it dispassionately, report it, and get on with the game.
Using your two middle fingers to make a T is frowned upon, as well.

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Frowned upon by whom? I have not heard that from anyone that I have attended camp with. All I have heard is not to break your fingers when calling one. I do not think many care what you do after that for the most part. Maybe that is one of those things an evaluator says something when you are in front of them.

Peace

blindzebra Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Frowned upon by whom? I have not heard that from anyone that I have attended camp with. All I have heard is not to break your fingers when calling one. I do not think many care what you do after that for the most part. Maybe that is one of those things an evaluator says something when you are in front of them.

Peace

Two middle fingers, HELLO!:rolleyes:

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:39pm

How much sarcasm......

BZ,

Tell me what it takes to be perfect so I can be just like you. Since I am struggling to be a good official or to gain the vast respect that you have achieved, tell me what it takes to be like you? Since I have never worked any post season or worked any college ball, tell me what it takes to be like you?

Peace

blindzebra Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:46pm

Re: How much sarcasm......

Quote:

BZ,

Tell me what it takes to be perfect so I can be just like you. Since I am struggling to be a good official or to gain the vast respect that you have achieved, tell me what it takes to be like you? Since I have never worked any post season or worked any college ball, tell me what it takes to be like you?

Peace

Your response to Rich, pretty much sums up your posting history.

If anyone disagrees with you, you will go out of your way to find a contrary opinion. Half the time you won't even read what is there.

Rich could have said the sky is blue and you'd have said it isn't.

I'm surprised we did not get another I've been doing this for this long in this many sports resume post...oh wait, we did.

bgtg19 Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:58pm

One colleague to another

Refs, good refs, try to help each other out. After all, we're all in this together. Sometimes, even less experienced refs have a contribution to make to more experienced refs. For what it is worth, Rut, I think after the "two middle fingers" part was pointed out, that might have been a good time to respond with: "Uh, my bad." Just trying to help a colleague.

Nice post, by the way, over in the "Keeping consistency" thread.

Dan_ref Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:03pm

I'll admit that I use the 2 middle fingers, tap the palm of my open left hand on them ever so slightly. I still don't see what the big deal is, never been told not to do it this way.

bgtg19 Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

I'll admit that I use the 2 middle fingers, tap the palm of my open left hand on them ever so slightly. I still don't see what the big deal is, never been told not to do it this way.

Uh, my bad.

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:31pm

Re: Re: How much sarcasm......

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra

Your response to Rich, pretty much sums up your posting history.

If anyone disagrees with you, you will go out of your way to find a contrary opinion. Half the time you won't even read what is there.

Rich could have said the sky is blue and you'd have said it isn't.

I'm surprised we did not get another I've been doing this for this long in this many sports resume post...oh wait, we did.

I disagreed with Rich on the basis of what I thought he said, not as a personal issue. This is something I do know how to separate. I do not know Rich or you and I have never worked with either of you. Unlike you, I do not take things personally on this site. They are just discussions with people that are mostly nameless and faceless. I have had interactions with Rich outside of this forum only through email and passing along information because he lives just north of my state and we work for the same person in both football and basketball in one conference.

If I had called you naive you would have considered my comments as arrogant and out of line. I am a 10 year official. If you do something different than I do, then join the crowd. I can ask 10 different officials the same thing with different backgrounds and you might get 10 different answers or justifications for their answers. Lighten up (whatever your name is). This site is not about everyone agreeing with each other all the time or understanding where everyone is coming from. When I walk on the court I do not carry the same baggage that you carry and you do not carry the same baggage I do. I am sure we do not look the same (we are judged by our appearance) and are not perceived the same by the coaches we all deal with. For GodÂ’s sake we do not even work under the same kind of system and get assigned the same way (at least from what I remember you saying). I am sorry that you want constant agreement, but that is never going to happen with me or other people with people literally all over the world coming to this site. For one I am surprised that more people here did not take serious issue with what Tommy said in his original post after all the things I have read here from officials about giving out Ts on this site and the things I hear other officials that I actually get to meet and talk to face to face.

Relax man, it will be OK. ;)

Peace

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:36pm

Quote:

[/B]
Using your two middle fingers to make a T is frowned upon, as well. [/B][/QUOTE]Which is why I only use one middle finger for the "T" signal......

bgtg19 Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:50pm

One colleague to another

Quote:

If I had called you naive you would have considered my comments as arrogant and out of line.
Blindzebra, Rut makes a good point here. For what it is worth, if you respond to this, it might be a good place for: "Uh, my bad."

blindzebra Thu Jan 12, 2006 07:52pm

Re: One colleague to another

Quote:

Originally posted by bgtg19
Quote:

If I had called you naive you would have considered my comments as arrogant and out of line.
Blindzebra, Rut makes a good point here. For what it is worth, if you respond to this, it might be a good place for: "Uh, my bad."

His comment was naive, and each and every post he makes is layered with arrogance, so saying something like that is naive would not lead to that assumption.

blindzebra Thu Jan 12, 2006 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

The two middle fingers would be the middle and ring finger, not the index and middle finger.

You must have a lot of dexterity to pull off a T with the actual MIDDLE fingers of one hand.

FYI, I took Rich's response to mean the middle finger on both hands coming together to signal a T.;)

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:09pm

Re: Re: One colleague to another

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra

His comment was naive, and each and every post he makes is layered with arrogance, so saying something like that is naive would not lead to that assumption.

What do I say that is layered with arrogance? I say the very same things here that I say when dealing with "real officials." For some strange reason, no one I deal with in real life seems to have a problem with what I say. Why is it only people like you that have such a problem with what I say?

Peace