The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inadvertant Pass to oneself (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24157-inadvertant-pass-oneself.html)

SmokeEater Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:59am

I have been searching the NCAA rulebook this morning for something to cover this situation directly.

Player had completed his dribble and was attempting to pass to a team mate. Just as the pass was being made the team mate moved away and the ball handler tried to stop the pass but fumbled it forward. He ran a couple of steps and picked the ball up then passed it away without pivoting again. I know we do not punish for a missed shot attempt but what about here? Travel or no call?

Smoke

JCrow Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:10am

Under NFHS Rules, a fumble anytime is a No Call.

If he actually passed it and ran over and picked it up after it bounced.....I got a Double Dribble.

If he threw it and ran over and picked it up before it bounces.....I got a Travel.

Is that right? A "Pass" by definition has to be to another Player.

SmokeEater Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:15am

Further to clarify how I seen the play. He was attempting to regain control of his pass and fumbled it forward. Then he had to run a few step to gather it up. So it would be similar to your first violation (DD) except there was no second dribble. NCAA rules here.

[Edited by SmokeEater on Jan 11th, 2006 at 09:29 AM]

All_Heart Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
Further to clarify how I seen the play. He was attempting to regain control of his pass and fumbled it forward. Then he had to run a few step to gather it up. So it would be similar to your first violation (DD) except there was no second cribble. NCAA rules here.
I believe you are incorrect. If the ball is fumbled then the player may recover the fumbled ball.

SmokeEater Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:29am

Incorrect about what? I am askng what call should be made and the reference support from the rule book. If there is any of course.

Nu1 Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:39am

I think the timing of how this occurred is critical.

If the player fumbled the ball AS they were ending their dribble, I'd allow them to recover the ball.

If the player clearly ended their dribble, then attempted a pass and lost the ball, I'd have an illegal dribble when they touched the ball again. (If the fumbled pass just bounces along until picked up by someone or going out of bounds, we play on. If the player who threw the fumbled pass touches it again, I'd have an illegal dribble.)

NCAA Rule 4, Sec. 18, Art. 4 b ...the dribble ends when the dribbler touches the ball with both hands. (Page 71 in the book.)

Now, A.R. 14 (b) says a player may recover a dribble that is fumbled when they attempt to complete their dribble. But they may not dribble again.

This is why timing is critical. In your scenario, I imagined a player clearly ending their dribble and then attempting a pass. In that case, I'd have an illegal dribble if they touch the "fumbled pass" again.

SmokeEater Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:48am

ty Nu1

Well described and I understand clearly what you are saying. You are correct in your assumption of how the play developed. Dribble was clearly ended and the pass attempt was tehn fumbled. I called a Travel.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:03am

Quote:

the ball handler tried to stop the pass but fumbled it forward.
You need to dedcide whether it was an attempted pass or a fumble. If it's the former, it's a violation. If the latter, it's legal.

PAOfficial Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

You need to dedcide whether it was an attempted pass or a fumble. If it's the former, it's a violation. If the latter, it's legal.

Is this true in all situations regarding a fumble? If its an attempted pass its a violation, if its a fumble you play on?

All_Heart Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01am

Quote:

Further to clarify how I seen the play. He was attempting to regain control of his pass and fumbled it forward. Then he had to run a few step to gather it up. So it would be similar to your first violation (DD) except there was no second dribble. NCAA rules here.
Quote:

Incorrect about what? I am askng what call should be made and the reference support from the rule book. If there is any of course.
I was saying that you are incorrect to say that it is similar to the Double Dribble because it is not a dribble when it is fumbled.

As Bob Jenkins said correctly, you have to determine if it's a fumble or not.

All_Heart Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by PAOfficial
Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Is this true in all situations regarding a fumble? If its an attempted pass its a violation, if its a fumble you play on?

Yes it is true. You can always recover a fumble.

To often I see officials calling travels when the player does not have control of the ball. Just because it looks ugly doesn't mean anything!

PAOfficial Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:28am

What if they leave the floor (jump) and then fumble and ...

a) land, then catch the ball before it bounces
b) land, then pick up the ball after it lands.

All_Heart Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by PAOfficial
What if they leave the floor (jump) and then fumble and ...

a) land, then catch the ball before it bounces
b) land, then pick up the ball after it lands.

A) Legal
B) Legal

Player Control ends when you fumble the ball.

c) regain control in the air and land - Legal

assignmentmaker Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:03pm

That's a bad pass, not a fumble

Quote:

[Edited by SmokeEater on Jan 11th, 2006 at 09:29 AM]

If it looks like a badly executed pass . . .

BktBallRef Wed Jan 11, 2006 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCrow
If he threw it and ran over and picked it up before it bounces.....I got a Travel.
Nope, that's an illegal dribble.

With one exception, you must be holding the ball to travel.