The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inadvertant Pass to oneself (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24157-inadvertant-pass-oneself.html)

BktBallRef Wed Jan 11, 2006 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PAOfficial
What if they leave the floor (jump) and then fumble and ...

a) land, then catch the ball before it bounces
b) land, then pick up the ball after it lands.

It makes no difference. You can always recover a fumble.

Ref-X Wed Jan 11, 2006 04:36pm

I saw something similar in a JV boy’s game. A1 stopped his dribble, he was attempting a pass up court to A2 and at the last second B1 jumped in front of him which caused him to adjust his pass. The pass went up high and over B1 head. A1 then ran around B1 and caught the pass. The official right on top of the play made no call. He later explained to the coach that this was a legal play. I had my rule book, but I could not find the rule on this play.

SamIAm Wed Jan 11, 2006 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref-X
I saw something similar in a JV boy’s game. A1 stopped his dribble, he was attempting a pass up court to A2 and at the last second B1 jumped in front of him which caused him to adjust his pass. The pass went up high and over B1 head. A1 then ran around B1 and caught the pass. The official right on top of the play made no call. He later explained to the coach that this was a legal play. I had my rule book, but I could not find the rule on this play.
I am not sure which one it is similar to, but this is not a fumble and is illegal, specifically illegal dribble.

Ref-X Wed Jan 11, 2006 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
Quote:

Originally posted by Ref-X
I am not sure which one it is similar to, but this is not a fumble and is illegal, specifically illegal dribble.

When I was this, the first thing that cam to mind was "travel".

mplagrow Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:16pm

I'll never forget the first time I saw that happen. I was T, and the point guard passed the ball to the shooting guard, who promptly left his spot. The point guard ran over and picked up the ball after a couple of bounces. It caught me totally by surprise. I sort of froze up, and the coach, who had been chippy all night (and of course, is right by me), starts yelling at me, "He passed the ball to himself!!! You can't do that!!!!" But the moment had passed. At which point, I said to the coach, "Yeah, I might have missed that one!" He was stunned. Then he says, "That's what I want to hear!"
So the moral of the story is, the coach just wants us to say we're wrong. I guess.

JCrow Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:17am

BktBallRef,

I respectfully disagree. A1 dribbles and stops his dribble. B1 defends. A1 passes ball over B1's head and goes around him and catches it.

I call it a Travel based on this:

1. It's not a dribble. The ball hasn't hit the floor or backboard.

2. A1 has lifted his pivot foot. The Rule says that is permitting as long as A1 passes or Attempts prior to the pivot foot returning to the floor.

3. The definition of a Pass says it must be to another player - not yourself. So he doesn't conform to the Traveling Rule for a Pass.

4. It's not an Attempt. So he doesn't conform to the Traveling Rule for an attempt.

Conclusion: A1 is holding the ball after picking up and returning his pivot foot to the floor without conforming to any provisions of the Traveling Rule. I don't get it as an Illegal Dribble.

SmokeEater Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:43am

Another Variation of passing to oneself

Ok never thought I would see the rule book contradict itself. There must be reasonable explanation for it. NCAA rules.

A1 is dribbling the ball on a break-away. At around the free throw line, A1 legally stops his dribble, throws the ball against the backboard and follows the throw. A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks.

This is legal as per rule 4-67-4 A.R. 44

To me it contradicts rule 4-18-4 A.R. 13

Anyone care to add. Of course you do.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:56am

Re: Another Variation of passing to oneself

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
Ok never thought I would see the rule book contradict itself. There must be reasonable explanation for it. NCAA rules.

A1 is dribbling the ball on a break-away. At around the free throw line, A1 legally stops his dribble, throws the ball against the backboard and follows the throw. A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks.

This is legal as per rule 4-67-4 A.R. 44

To me it contradicts rule 4-18-4 A.R. 13

Anyone care to add. Of course you do.

AR 44 deals with throwing the ball off the TEAM's backboard -- legal play.

AR 13 deals with throwing the ball off the OPPONENT's backboard -- it's a dribble (and a violation in the specific play persented).

SmokeEater Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:51am

There Ya go 1 word makes all the difference. Thank You