The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am clear that when a dribbler controls the ball with one foot on floor than jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet they cannot pivot. However, when a dribbler executes the jump stop but they get control of the ball after jumping off of one foot and then they land with a jump stop. They still can use a pivot foot right? If this is true it seems like it would be hard for an official to judge whether or not they had control with the foot on the floor or off the floor to determine if they get a pivot or not.

Thanks
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Your assessment of what's legal is correct. It's more unusual for a player to gather the ball after jumping. Usually, I see the dribble end as the player steps/jumps. He must then land simultaneously and not pivot. Evenso, I don't guess a travel. Better to miss one than call one that's not there.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Your assessment of what's legal is correct. It's more unusual for a player to gather the ball after jumping. Usually, I see the dribble end as the player steps/jumps. He must then land simultaneously and not pivot. Evenso, I don't guess a travel. Better to miss one than call one that's not there.
Regarding your second sentence, this has not been my experience at all, as a player or as an official. Using this move limits momentum much more than the other jump-stop technique; a corollary is that most people jump better off of one foot than two. I agree with your last two sentences 100%.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:01am
MABO Member

Quote:
Lately, I have been seeing players picking up their dribble as they jump, then land on both feet then jumping/taking a step to take a shot. Legal?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Lately, I have been seeing players picking up their dribble as they jump, then land on both feet then jumping/taking a step to take a shot. Legal?
Depends on what you mean by "as they jump."

If both feet are on the floor when the dribble ends, then the play is legal. If one foot is still on the floor, then the play is not legal.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:14am
MABO Member

Yea judgement call, they are running along dribbling, so I would say 1 foot is on the floor when they pick up the dribble. jump and land on both feet then usually jump again or do an up and under move to shoot. It looks wrong some times and other times it looks really smooth.

I get a lot of flack when I call it travel, I have it as a travel every time. Not so with some of my partners. I make a point to discuss it pregame to be sure we are on same page.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:19am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Better to miss one than call one that's not there.
Wise words.

Many officials should be forced to write this down and carry it in their pockets at all times!

An error of ommission is better than an error of commission!
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
Quote:
Regarding your second sentence, this has not been my experience at all, as a player or as an official. Using this move limits momentum much more than the other jump-stop technique; a corollary is that most people jump better off of one foot than two.
I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote. My statement has nothing to do with jumping off one foot or two. #1, you can't legally jump stop off two feet, only one. #2, I see the dribble end and the ball gathered as the player is jumping off his pivot, not after his pivot has already left the floor. That's what I was saying above.

If you did understand me, then I guess our experiences are just different.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Better to miss one than call one that's not there.
Wise words.

An error of ommission is better than an error of commission!
I would agree with that sentiment. But the other piece of advice that I heard regarding traveling (which I think is very valid) is, "Never let the ballhandler travel into a foul."

In other words, we miss the travel -- ok, not great, but usually not a huge deal -- and then the dribbler immediately gets fouled on the drive. Ugh. Talk about waking up the coach.

Gotta get the ones that we gotta have.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yea judgement call, they are running along dribbling, so I would say 1 foot is on the floor when they pick up the dribble. jump and land on both feet then usually jump again or do an up and under move to shoot. It looks wrong some times and other times it looks really smooth.

I get a lot of flack when I call it travel, I have it as a travel every time. Not so with some of my partners. I make a point to discuss it pregame to be sure we are on same page.
It wouldn't be traveling unless he takes a step. Jumping again is legal, as long as the ball is gone before he returns to the floor.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:40am
MABO Member

Quote:
Quote:

It wouldn't be traveling unless he takes a step. Jumping again is legal, as long as the ball is gone before he returns to the floor.
Ok thanks, just to be sure I am understanding what you mean, The up and under move (includes a step ) is illegal, but a jump shot is OK.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Correct. In your play, once his feet land simultaneously, he can jump and release the ball but he cannot step.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Lately?

Quote:
Quote:
Lately? That's been going on for 20 years. I recommend that officials learn to do all the elements of legal jumpstop themselves. It makes it easier to recognize everything that isn't what's legal.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 03:25pm
MABO Member

"Lately" mean its becoming more and more prevalent in the games I work. Why the critical tone to the thread it was answered and all is fine. Thanks

Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:51am
PAOfficial

This is ironic because we just discussed this at our last meeting, and I am still having difficulty seeing it.

I understand and am fine with the jump stop. No problem. Its when the dribble stops part that I am having trouble seeing. I have played and officiated for years, but still have difficulty visioning a player stoping his dribble AFTER the jump stop procedure starts.

Any (more) help with this?