Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If I see a kid do a "drop dunk" during warm-ups, I'm gonna warn the kid and tell him the next one is a T.
What is a "drop dunk"?

If you just drop the ball, it's legal. If you push or force the ball down, no matter how hard, that meets the definition of a dunk and that is illegal. It's gotta be one or t'other.
A drop dunk... not an official term and I wasn't trying to start a new buzz word!.

I just meant the kind that are pushed down without a lot of zip and the hands don't hit rim so there is no sound other than the net.

Like I said, I have no problem with others calling this as a T.... but it isn't going to be one when I'm the R.

Z
I'm cool with that. And if I was in an area where I had a supervisor and he told me to call that, I'd do it.

What Nevadaref said is so true. We are all slightly different and we will all see somethig like this slightly differently.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm with Rich on this one. If I see a kid do a "drop dunk" during warm-ups, I'm gonna warn the kid and tell him the next one is a T.
While I generally agree with your position in this debate (that is, I think there's room for interpretation on "driving, forcing or pushing"), I would suggest that you not use the phrase "the next one is a T."

When you use that phrase,m you're saying, "you violated teh rule, but I'm going to give you a pass." If the opposing coach hears this, s/he'll wonder why you're not enforcing the rule.

A better phrase, imo, is something like, "Don't make me decide whether that was a dunk" or, "Let's be sure we're not dunking." This is preventive officiating -- you're stopping something from happening the *first* time, not stopping it from *repeating*.