The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Most employers will want to know about your outside interests.
Not the best advice. Never put personal interests on your resume. These only disqualify you. They never get you a job - unless you are a world class bridge player or golfer, etc., and you know the boss is looking for a ringer for the company team or free lessons.

Most employers think you should spend 24x7 on their job, and want people who have no outside life (with the exception of those who need a certain percentage to be involved with charitable work to qualify for some tax break or another.)

As someone who had hired many, and reviewed hundreds of resumes for 4 companies, take my word for it.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 09:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Not the best advice. Never put personal interests on your resume. These only disqualify you. They never get you a job - unless you are a world class bridge player or golfer, etc., and you know the boss is looking for a ringer for the company team or free lessons.

Most employers think you should spend 24x7 on their job, and want people who have no outside life (with the exception of those who need a certain percentage to be involved with charitable work to qualify for some tax break or another.)

As someone who had hired many, and reviewed hundreds of resumes for 4 companies, take my word for it.
Ditto. They are a waste of space. When I look at a resume and see personal stuff on there, I am thinking "This person must be short on job attributes if they are putting all this stuff on their resume". On the other hand, sometimes you can slip something like that in there if you have other certifications. For example, I have a designation in my field that I could put as a certification, and I could put IAABO as another certification. But you do not want to make a big deal of it.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 02:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:

Ditto. They are a waste of space. When I look at a resume and see personal stuff on there, I am thinking "This person must be short on job attributes if they are putting all this stuff on their resume". On the other hand, sometimes you can slip something like that in there if you have other certifications. For example, I have a designation in my field that I could put as a certification, and I could put IAABO as another certification. But you do not want to make a big deal of it.
I was always under the impression that HR people that hired salesman like people with a sporting background. Though they were more aggressive, out-going, assertive.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 07:30am
Aleve Titles to Others

I am a sales manager. That is not the case. But even for other types of positions, personal interests are a no-no.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I am a sales manager. That is not the case. But even for other types of positions, personal interests are a no-no.
I'll remember that if I am ever desparate to be hired.

But since I've always looked for new positions from a position of strength (already employed), I make sure my officiating comes up during the conversation/interview. If they are close-minded about officiating, then they will likely be close-minded about other things as well.

I interviewed for a position last year (before my former boss got the axe and life became more reasonable in my current gig). As part of the interviewing process, I had to give a presentation on anything I chose. I did it on baseball umpiring and brought my gear to the presentation as props.

Later, during the formal interview with the HR person, he mentioned the company had a "no outside income" policy and seemed uneasy with my officiating. I'd like to say that this caused me to turn the job down, but in reality, their offer was substandard and that was the main reason I rejected the offer. Yet their uneasyness with my personal life played a role. All things being equal (money, benefits, etc.), I likely would've turned it down anyway.

There's more to life than work. There's more to life than officiating. Find a place that will let you live that balance.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There are always going to be people that do not like certain things on a resume. That is just the chance you take when you apply for a job. I think you should put your officiating on a resume when you take money and do many things as a job. If you fill out taxes for this activity, it is a job. I want anyone that is hiring me to know the kind of commitment I have made to it and know what kind of skills I have experienced in my life. If you do not want to see something that I make income from, then I would not want to work with you. Not because it might distract from my job, because the things I do in officiating will bring a lot of good things to any job I am working at. Some of the most successful people I know are officials. Part of the reason for that is because a certain type of person will officiate. Not everyone can do officiate a sport.

Funny thing about this I have worked in sales for years. Sales jobs love the fact that I officiate. They want very competitive people and people who can set goals and achieve those goals. You seemed to be unusual in that respect.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Rut. I was a little unclear about how I include officiating on my resume. I do not put hobbies and interests on. I also include my officiating under my work experience. I'm not sure exactly the heading I put it under, but I agree that you shouldn't have hobbies and interests on a resume.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 03:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm with Rut. I was a little unclear about how I include officiating on my resume. I do not put hobbies and interests on. I also include my officiating under my work experience. I'm not sure exactly the heading I put it under, but I agree that you shouldn't have hobbies and interests on a resume.
I put it in the same place as I do any other job. I will not include all jobs on a resume depending one what type of job I would be applying for. I always put my officiating along with a description of what it entails. I realize that in theory we say officiating is a hobby. In reality is a business where you take money for a service. If you had a business cleaning homes and you ran that business, you would not think twice about including that job on your resume. Officiating I am not going to treat any different. If I make over $1000 a month working games, I think an employer should not only know that but know what skills I have to use to do it. Some people think you just role off the street and work games with no training or skill set.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

That is why I suggested putting it under certifications, professional designations, etc. That elevates it from the "hobby" category. It could even be under "civic" with things like planning commission, zoning board, etc. But, think about it for a moment. If you put down referee or officiating as a hobby or personal interest, it can only serve as an eliminator. If you put down a designation or certification, it can be a conversation starter. You can relate how you handle difficult situations, are detail oriented by having to know the rules, can show how you have people skills that can translate into the workplace, etc. In other words, it is a training ground that uses many skills that can help an individual become an even better employee.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That is why I suggested putting it under certifications, professional designations, etc. That elevates it from the "hobby" category. It could even be under "civic" with things like planning commission, zoning board, etc. But, think about it for a moment. If you put down referee or officiating as a hobby or personal interest, it can only serve as an eliminator. If you put down a designation or certification, it can be a conversation starter. You can relate how you handle difficult situations, are detail oriented by having to know the rules, can show how you have people skills that can translate into the workplace, etc. In other words, it is a training ground that uses many skills that can help an individual become an even better employee.
When you take money for it, it is not just a hobby. It is a job or a business. If I have to file taxes for the income I take from it, it is a job not just a hobby. I would not put it under a hobby when I do job like activities while doing it. Officiating might not pay all the bills, but it pays a lot of bills. I know officiating has put many kids through school. I know officials that take on more games when they lose their "day job." It is not just a hobby, it cannot be.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Rut--Re-read my post. I am not suggesting it be put as a hobby. In fact quite the opposite. I became certified by our state association, therefore I would put IAABO under a section for professional designations or under civic or community involvement. In fact there should NEVER be a section on a resume entitled "Hobbies" or "personal interests" and that is the point I and others were trying to make.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Rut--Re-read my post. I am not suggesting it be put as a hobby. In fact quite the opposite. I became certified by our state association, therefore I would put IAABO under a section for professional designations or under civic or community involvement. In fact there should NEVER be a section on a resume entitled "Hobbies" or "personal interests" and that is the point I and others were trying to make.
I read exactly what you said the first time. No one but you suggested that it be under the hobby title and I was not commenting on what section you put it under. I am stating that is a job and should be treated just as any other job if you are going to put it on your resume. That is why I keep talking about taking money and filing taxes as an official.

Once again this is all based on the type of job you are going for and the industry standards. I worked at Dominos Pizza when I was in college and I know that would not end up on my resume for any professional job. Not all jobs are relevant or necessary. You put the things that are relevant to the job you are trying to get. At least that is my experience and I have hired people as well. I do not care what people put on their resume as long as some of the skills apply to the job.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I read exactly what you said the first time. No one but you suggested that it be under the hobby title and I was not commenting on what section you put it under. I am stating that is a job and should be treated just as any other job if you are going to put it on your resume. That is why I keep talking about taking money and filing taxes as an official.

Once again this is all based on the type of job you are going for and the industry standards. I worked at Dominos Pizza when I was in college and I know that would not end up on my resume for any professional job. Not all jobs are relevant or necessary. You put the things that are relevant to the job you are trying to get. At least that is my experience and I have hired people as well. I do not care what people put on their resume as long as some of the skills apply to the job.

Peace
I can see why people get very irritated with you. I have never suggested it be put under hobby. But you are a know-it-all, so therefore I must be wrong.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 11:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I can see why people get very irritated with you. I have never suggested it be put under hobby. But you are a know-it-all, so therefore I must be wrong.
I did not suggest you said anything. Obviously you do not know how to have a discussion. I was making a point and you attributed everything I said to what you were talking about only. My comments were not about just what you said. If you feel you are wrong than that is something you have to deal with. I did not say anyone was wrong because there is no right or wrong in this discussion. If you do not like people to include a job in a particular category, I am sure there are other people that do not care. Unless any of us are going to try to get hired by you specifically, then all of this is some conjecture and opinion.

If it irritates you because I gave an opinion, then that shows you are not a person that I would want to neither work with nor hire. BTW, I was not the only one that commented about your point of view. I guess it is my fault you do not know how to get your point across.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

I did not suggest you said anything. Obviously you do not know how to have a discussion. I was making a point and you attributed everything I said to what you were talking about only. My comments were not about just what you said. If you feel you are wrong than that is something you have to deal with. I did not say anyone was wrong because there is no right or wrong in this discussion. If you do not like people to include a job in a particular category, I am sure there are other people that do not care. Unless any of us are going to try to get hired by you specifically, then all of this is some conjecture and opinion.

If it irritates you because I gave an opinion, then that shows you are not a person that I would want to neither work with nor hire. BTW, I was not the only one that commented about your point of view. I guess it is my fault you do not know how to get your point across.

Peace
Oh my goodness Rut. Many threads contain 10 or more posts by you because nobody can understand the senseless crap you post and the more you explain, the more jumbled it gets. You are criticizing someone else for not getting their point across? Please. Some of your posts either seem to be in another language or posted by a 4-year old. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Z