View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
I am a sales manager. That is not the case. But even for other types of positions, personal interests are a no-no.
I'll remember that if I am ever desparate to be hired.

But since I've always looked for new positions from a position of strength (already employed), I make sure my officiating comes up during the conversation/interview. If they are close-minded about officiating, then they will likely be close-minded about other things as well.

I interviewed for a position last year (before my former boss got the axe and life became more reasonable in my current gig). As part of the interviewing process, I had to give a presentation on anything I chose. I did it on baseball umpiring and brought my gear to the presentation as props.

Later, during the formal interview with the HR person, he mentioned the company had a "no outside income" policy and seemed uneasy with my officiating. I'd like to say that this caused me to turn the job down, but in reality, their offer was substandard and that was the main reason I rejected the offer. Yet their uneasyness with my personal life played a role. All things being equal (money, benefits, etc.), I likely would've turned it down anyway.

There's more to life than work. There's more to life than officiating. Find a place that will let you live that balance.