The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Here is a situation from one of our holiday tournament games earlier today (Girls Varsity):

Tie game, about 1 minute to play. Double bonus situation. A1 is fouled by B1 on the rebound. Official goes to report foul, and A's head coach strongly disagrees with the call. Official gives coach stop sign, coach continues on, technical foul. Coach is then seatbelted, and as official proceeds to report the foul and now technical, coach has more choice words, so second technical foul. He is ejected. Game continues, B shoots 6 free throws, makes 5, and wins by 5.

Here is my question: After the game, we discuss the situation. A few officials said only shoot 4 shots, 2 for the double bonus and a total of two for both of the technicals. The majority of us say seperate direct technicals by the same person (in this case coach) in a short time frame, shoot 2 free throws each for the technicals (4 total) and the two for the double bonus. However, just to settle the bet with a final word, I could not find a citation in the rule book that supported either position. Can any of you point me to the proper spot in the NFHS book that I can cite to everyone else? Maybe it was just a long day and we didn't look hard enough in the book. Thanks!
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 01:05am
In Memoriam

To make your situation above work, you need to have A1 fouling B1- not vice-versa. You've got the 2 "T"s on the team A head coach and team B shooting.

Rule book citation is R10-4PENALTY(at the end of article 4)-- 2 FT's per "T". You shoot the FT's in the order that the fouls occurred-- the 2 FT's for the original double-bonus first, followed by the 4 technical foul FT's. All FT's are shot with the lanes cleared and team B then gets a throw-in at center opposite the scorer's table when they're done.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 29th, 2005 at 01:09 AM]
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Along a similar line, I heard of a situation in a BV game when a player was charged with 3 technical fouls, 2 for arguing by one official and then another for removing his jersey on the court. My question is: in Fed can you charge a participant with more than 2 direct technicals? I know Richie Powers long ago was disciplined by the NBA for doing just that. I can't find anything in the rule book that says you can't, so I assume that this is possible. I'm just glad it didn't happen in my game.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Along a similar line, I heard of a situation in a BV game when a player was charged with 3 technical fouls, 2 for arguing by one official and then another for removing his jersey on the court. My question is: in Fed can you charge a participant with more than 2 direct technicals? I know Richie Powers long ago was disciplined by the NBA for doing just that. I can't find anything in the rule book that says you can't, so I assume that this is possible. I'm just glad it didn't happen in my game.
There is no rule restricting the number of T's...and there (correction) NEVER will be. Players are disqualified to the bench rather then removed from the gym (due to supervision requirements). Even though they're on the bench, they don't get a free ticket to do what they like after receiving two T's. If they get out of line while on the bench, the can get another.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 29th, 2005 at 03:25 PM]
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
There is no rule restricting the number of T's...and there will be. Players are disqualified to the bench rather then removed from the gym (due to supervision requirements). Even though they're on the bench, they don't get a free ticket to do what they like after receiving two T's. If they get out of line while on the bench, the can get another.
And don't forget that the third one is also an indirect on the coach, since that player is now bench personnel.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Care to fix this?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
And don't forget that the third one is also an indirect on the coach, since that player is now bench personnel.
Like fingernails on a chalkboard...

Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.

In NCAA, the limit is 2.