The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I've had 9 years' experience on the scorebook and on this board, sorting out correctible errors. Thought I had the rule cold - until tonight.

Girls' JV, and the scorekeeper was an easily distracted varsity player (first foul I reported, she was talking on her cell phone). With 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, I call a foul (B1 fouled A1) during rebounding action, and the scorekeeper tells me it's 1-and-1.

I thought it was a bit odd (we didn't have a ton of fouls), but I tend to trust my scorekeepers (mistake #1!), so we awarded the 1-and-1, A1 misses the first shot. B rebounds, is coming upcourt when the scorer has me come over.

Ok . . . unmerited free-throw, change in team posession, cancel the shot and all activity, clock doesn't get reset, ball goes back to the POI. No problem - EXCEPT - my brain somehow thought that POI would mean A getting the ball back instead of the point at which the game was interrupted to correct the error.

At least I know the rule now (and how to correctly apply it). Also, I was at least somewhat convincing to the coaches.

Best part - the scorer told me that her coach told her to keep track and tell the refs when there were 7 team fouls. Unfortunately, the coach failed to mention that it was per half.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I've had 9 years' experience on the scorebook and on this board, sorting out correctible errors. Thought I had the rule cold - until tonight.

Girls' JV, and the scorekeeper was an easily distracted varsity player (first foul I reported, she was talking on her cell phone). With 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, I call a foul (B1 fouled A1) during rebounding action, and the scorekeeper tells me it's 1-and-1.

I thought it was a bit odd (we didn't have a ton of fouls), but I tend to trust my scorekeepers (mistake #1!), so we awarded the 1-and-1, A1 misses the first shot. B rebounds, is coming upcourt when the scorer has me come over.

Ok . . . unmerited free-throw, change in team posession, cancel the shot and all activity, clock doesn't get reset, ball goes back to the POI. No problem - EXCEPT - my brain somehow thought that POI would mean A getting the ball back instead of the point at which the game was interrupted to correct the error.

At least I know the rule now (and how to correctly apply it). Also, I was at least somewhat convincing to the coaches.

Best part - the scorer told me that her coach told her to keep track and tell the refs when there were 7 team fouls. Unfortunately, the coach failed to mention that it was per half.
She's a varsity player and she didn't know about the team foul count? She's worse than distractible, she's downright stupid.

If that's the worst correctible error error you ever make, you're a hero!! Thank goodness it wasn't a State Tournament game, and forget it.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 04:21pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

She's a varsity player and she didn't know about the team foul count? She's worse than distractible, she's downright stupid.

If that's the worst correctible error error you ever make, you're a hero!! Thank goodness it wasn't a State Tournament game, and forget it.
I think you are giving the girl too much credit. She is a high schooler who happens to play on the V team. That doesn't mean that the phone call or other distraction isn't more important to her. It doesn't make her, IMO, stupid. The biggest problem for me is that the team didn't put someone responsible on the book. The team (or game admin) is the one who needs to be questioned.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I thought it was a bit odd (we didn't have a ton of fouls), but I tend to trust my scorekeepers (mistake #1!), so we awarded the 1-and-1,
Don't leave your game at the table.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Hmmm, where have I heard that $500 piece of advice before. . .?
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
In the . . . wait for it . . . SEC?
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the . . . wait for it . . . SEC?
Nah, wrong thread. Besides, Dan and I have never been to an SEC camp together.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
He charged you $500!!???

Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

You should have dumped her from the table crew the moment you saw her on the cell phone. Problem solved.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
You should have dumped her from the table crew the moment you saw her on the cell phone. Problem solved.
Or you could just tell her to turn her cell phone off until the game is over. If she has a problem with that, then replace her ASAP.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Or you could just tell her to turn her cell phone off until the game is over. If she has a problem with that, then replace her ASAP.
She actually wasn't too bad. When I went over to report the foul, I just kinda gave her "the look." Problem solved.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

You must have one good look!
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She actually wasn't too bad. When I went over to report the foul, I just kinda gave her "the look." Problem solved.
You should be careful how you characterize her and how you look at her. You just got out of college and she is a high schooler!
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He charged you $500!!???
Actually, I got the discount for returning campers. It was only $495 this year.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Maybe my rule application logic is the same as the OP used, but shouldn't A get the ball? A1 was fouled and should have gotten the ball for a throw-in instead of shooting the 1 and 1. The spirit of the Correctable Error rule is to get it right. Why wouldn't A get the ball?